PDA

View Full Version : accident reconstruction

artsyfartsy
03-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Hello, I'm a Lightwave newbie and I have a question. Can anyone direct me to any tutorials illustrating how to build an accident reconstruction animation?

Anybody, anybody?

Thanks.

robewil
03-25-2004, 04:02 PM
I'm going to guess that there are very few, if any tutorials stricltly for accident reconstruction. I've done quite a few of them, personally. What information do you require?

artsyfartsy
03-25-2004, 04:47 PM
Well I guess for starters - part of the project involves calculating speed and distance traveled, before the collision. Do you know of an expression I can use for this? Thanks

pdrake
03-25-2004, 05:10 PM
there is a speedometer plug in in lightwave. that might help you with speed. make sure you build things to scale.

also, you might want to provide more information about what you're asking.

is it an auto accident, plane, helicopter, boating?

robewil
03-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Actually, I've never used expressions. Is the speed of the vehicle varying up to the impact or is it constant?

If it's constant, then it should be fairly simple to compute the location of the vehicle at any given time as long as everything is to scale. Since you say you have the speed and distance traveled, a little math will give you the timing (number of frames).

If it is variable, (the vehicle is braking hard maybe), I just go by where the braking started and ended and adjust my spline curves for the motion in between, (a curve at the beginning and an abrupt stop at the end as the vehicle collides.) I've never been asked to do anything more scientific than this as even the experts can state with a certain degree of accuracy, what the figures were.

artsyfartsy
03-26-2004, 03:13 PM
Thanks for all the help so far. I'll look into the speedometer plug-in. Also, is there a place where I can get models of vehicles-cars, trucks, etc.? Is there a book out there that focuses on building an accident reconstruction animation?

John Fornasar
03-27-2004, 10:38 PM
On a basic level, you can start with the scenes\vehicles\carcrash.lws scene in your content directory.

There are vehicle models on your CD, and tons of models available for free and for charge on the 'net.

I wish you luck, but you may be biting off way more than you can chew if you are not only new to LW, but also new to accident reconstruction.