PDA

View Full Version : lw8 shipping info

artologist
03-25-2004, 01:40 PM
Just recieved an email from newtek confirming my shipping address for LW8. Yea!

"LightWave 3D [8] will be shipping very soon! In order to make sure you receive your LightWave [8] electronic upgrade without delay, we would like to double check the mailing address we have on file for you.

Please check to see if this address is correct:

If it is, great! Your LightWave [8] will be coming your way very soon."

Too cool.

Beamtracer
03-25-2004, 01:43 PM
I hope it will ship in a few days. Then all this current hysteria about a shipping date will go away.

lasvideo
03-25-2004, 01:56 PM
At the risk of sounding too enthusiastic....
YIPPEEEEEE, I just got my confirmation email, too.

kcole
03-25-2004, 01:58 PM
Me three!

mattclary
03-25-2004, 01:59 PM
Me 4!!!!

adhesiveX
03-25-2004, 01:59 PM
Me five!!!!!

StevenDS
03-25-2004, 02:08 PM
I too, am in agreement with said comments.
can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait! can't wait!....

hrgiger
03-25-2004, 02:08 PM
Me 6. But I want to stress this. If they're asking us to confirm our shipping address, that probably means it might not go out in the next few days. Obviously if they don't have the correct address, they want time to hear from people to get the correct addresses. Perhaps next week though?

hrgiger
03-25-2004, 02:14 PM
By the way, what I would really like to know is when is the manual going to be available online? I would love to start cracking on that right away even before the software comes...

blabberlicious
03-25-2004, 02:15 PM
that's what I've been told :-)

polarman3d
03-25-2004, 02:15 PM
Me 7! And I agree with hrgiger...This is VERY COOL! Now we definitely know that it's going to be soon. I'm hoping by the end of next week. That should give them time to correct addresses.

3DBob
03-25-2004, 02:21 PM
I got the first e-mail about imminent shipping - but not this second one yet - are any of you guys in the UK?

3DBob

TSpyrison
03-25-2004, 02:27 PM
Awww hell..

That ruins my night, im gonna have to stay home and keep checking my e-mail

:D

lasvideo
03-25-2004, 02:30 PM
They maybe confirming our shipping address, but this quote seems to lead me to believe that its by email (???)

"In order to make sure you receive
your LightWave [8] electronic upgrade without delay..."

Whats an electronic upgrade?

ddho1981
03-25-2004, 02:30 PM
got mine. . . this is way better than the extended offer e-mail....let's hope the next "got mine" thread is "got my lightwave 8!"

colkai
03-25-2004, 02:31 PM
At this stage, probably not *that* imminent, as hrgiger says, need to get everyones details sorted. Then they will have a shed load to ship so I wouldn't get too excited.

These things take time, especially for those of us outside of the USA.

Johnnyx
03-25-2004, 02:31 PM
..shheesh... I don't even have the first email yet! - (UK) .. much finger tapping ..... and "F5 ing"........................

nt65
03-25-2004, 02:38 PM
I must have missed the thread that NT were now sending on CD.
I thought it was going to be a download?

claymation
03-25-2004, 02:39 PM
I am assuming a typo on that electronic delivery unless they got a star trek transporter they are using to deliver it.

In any case I got mine as well.

Looks like things are moving forward.

lasvideo
03-25-2004, 02:39 PM
They maybe confirming our shipping address, but this quote seems to lead me to believe that its by email (???)

hrgiger
03-25-2004, 02:40 PM
The last I heard, it was going to be on CD/s.

blabberlicious
03-25-2004, 02:44 PM
Excuse me if I'm making this up, but I seem to remember reading a post of Chucks that said NT were endevoring to make the European Release of LW8 come out 'at the same time.'

???

AS it was a typically vague statement, I asked him to clarify if that meant either:

Europe would get the release at the samne time as US
or
All euro peole would get theirs at same time (weeks after US :-)

Needless to say he didn't repond...

When I called the Euro NT, they said the release WAS being handled exclusively by NT US, and that this method had worked out well on their last release.

Whaey! More pointless speculation - while I watch my team crash out of Europe (Come on Liverpool!)

phil lawson
03-25-2004, 02:48 PM
Yup, no 'first' email here as well...would be nice to be informed by someone what is actually happening with Euro people. :)

ddho1981
03-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by lasvideo

*SPECULATION*
perhaps the electronic upgrade will be downloadable kinda like how you can download 7.5 and they are shipping the CDs containing the lw8 installer and the content. . .
*/SPECULATION*

just a thought.

phil lawson
03-25-2004, 02:53 PM
Richard from Onevideo.net just posted this info they got from Newtek...

'NewTek has negotiated the extension of LightWave [8] pre-launch Interactive Studio (800 for free) bundle. This special will be available with upgrades until [8] ships and with full units until the 30th June 2004.

LightWave registered customers eligible for a free upgrade will be the first to receive their version [8] electronic upgrade (with PDF manuals). NewTek Europe will be shipping this upgrade shortly and it will consist of four CDs (1 program, 2 for content and 1 third party sampler).

For customers who will have still to upgrade, a LightWave 3D [8] Electronic upgrade (with PDF manuals) should be available at approximately the same time for 345 + VAT.

LightWave 3D [8] Full package should be shipping around the end of June 2004 and will be priced at 995 + VAT. Alternatively, a version with electronic manual will be offered for 945 +VAT.
The LightWave [8] upgrade with printed manual will also be available for 399 + VAT.

And finally the DFX offer is no longer, so if it is DFX u want first come first server while stocks last.'

Cool

Jaffro
03-25-2004, 02:53 PM
European guys. Info from OneVideo, many thanks to Richard from OV:

LightWave registered customers eligible for a free upgrade will be the first to receive their version [8] electronic upgrade (with PDF manuals). NewTek Europe will be shipping this upgrade shortly and it will consist of four CDs (1 program, 2 for content and 1 third party sampler).

LightWave 3D [8] Full package should be shipping around the end of June 2004

Be at peace, sounds like where-ever you may be that LW8 will arrive around the same time. With the full pagage release in june it will give NT a while to get all the pre-orders sortted out :) woohoo

[edit] Damn phil beat me to it! Serves me right for trying to work while posting on forums!

electropulse
03-25-2004, 02:54 PM
I just got it too! that means that they'll be shipping lw8!!!

I never got that cool white box (lw 6 - 7.5) so I hope they send it in a box, (crosses fingers)

Alan Daniels
03-25-2004, 02:55 PM
Woohoo! Got my mail as well. Can't wait can't wait can't wait. (Passes out...)

nt65
03-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Why wouldn't NT reroute their inhouse render farms to accept our 'crazed' requests for downloading LW8? Ofcourse, and get a bigger internet pipe!!!

phil lawson
03-25-2004, 03:01 PM
Just beat ya there Jaffro :D ;)

Edit : Thats what I get for doing no work and browsing fourms...hehehe

mouse_art
03-25-2004, 03:01 PM
hmm

Dsl or higher user ...ok

isdn or less ...... :(

;)

Beamtracer
03-25-2004, 03:08 PM
It sounds like the "electronic version" (ie with PDF manual) is about to ship now, and the printed manual version will ship in June.

petermark
03-25-2004, 03:16 PM
Me... what are we on... 9?

Good stuff! Can't wait to get it!

I'm glad they confirmed. My address that they had listed was antique!

Barred
03-25-2004, 03:22 PM
Looks like those of us in Europe will have to w8

For the mail and not much longer for 8

Chuck
03-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by blabberlicious
Excuse me if I'm making this up, but I seem to remember reading a post of Chucks that said NT were endevoring to make the European Release of LW8 come out 'at the same time.'

???

AS it was a typically vague statement, I asked him to clarify if that meant either:

Europe would get the release at the samne time as US
or
All euro peole would get theirs at same time (weeks after US :-)

Needless to say he didn't repond...

When I called the Euro NT, they said the release WAS being handled exclusively by NT US, and that this method had worked out well on their last release.

Whaey! More pointless speculation - while I watch my team crash out of Europe (Come on Liverpool!)

Actually I've responded to that issue a number of times, and do apologize if I missed your specific query. Yes, we are working with our international distributors to make sure that they will be able to ship to their customers concurrently with us, or as close as possible. Some may take longer for their localization efforts than others, so some patience and understanding may be needed on that issue.

ddho1981
03-25-2004, 03:28 PM
Chuck,

Can you clarify whether the "Electronic Download" was a typo? or if we will be able to download the LW8 installer while we wait for the content discs?

Barred
03-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks Chuck.

There is noting more frustrating to know that our cousins across the pond have access to software (mainly games) weeks or months befor we do in the UK.

Earl
03-25-2004, 03:37 PM
Ahh, it's not just those in the UK. I'm in the US and I haven't received any of NewTek's recent e-mails (but I did receive the UV Edit Pro, so I know they have my correct e-mail).

Barred
03-25-2004, 03:53 PM
SAme here about the UV Edit Pro Earl.
Thanks for that little bonus NT.

TSpyrison
You think this is bad..

wait till they start shipping..

I wonder if they will give us tracking numbers when they do start to ship them out...

Wireframex
Well

How much time to wait now ???

can't wait :confused:

flohtzke
03-25-2004, 03:59 PM
:( i hate w8'inting

btw. waht's about the non-EU europans (Switzerland)
will it be the same time as the EU countries?

flo

xeno3d
03-25-2004, 04:14 PM
All of you guys that got an mail from newtek about shipping info.. did you all order from newtek directly?

Beamtracer
03-25-2004, 04:17 PM
If there was an electronic download of LW8, wouldn't that make European users happy?

I have found that Import and Customs police in some European countries are over zealous, ripping open parcels to see what's inside. Sometimes they even charge extra import tax on them.

An electronic download goes straight from the sender to you, making it much quicker (provided you've got ADSL or cable).

lasvideo
03-25-2004, 04:44 PM
I ordered from Newtek directly, when I upgraded from 5.5.

ddho1981
03-25-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by xeno3d
All of you guys that got an mail from newtek about shipping info.. did you all order from newtek directly?

yes, i ordered last fall dirctly from the newtek site

StevenDS
03-25-2004, 04:56 PM
Direct ordered here too.
Inspire->LW7 upgrade.
;)

blabberlicious
03-25-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Chuck
Actually I've responded to that issue a number of times, and do apologize if I missed your specific query.

Thanks Chuck - Sorry if I didn't see your response elsewhere.

Spent a frustrating day discovering (eventually) that there's a bug in the mac .rla exporter - which makes LW unable to export Material IDs.

(Needless to say it exports fine on a PC)

So apologies if I sounded harsh.

I REALLY hope you guys have come up trumps for us mac guys - our second class seats have gotten real uncomfortable

:-)

adhesiveX
03-25-2004, 05:00 PM
I also ordered directly from NT
3.5 to 7.5c

prospector
03-25-2004, 05:18 PM
got my e-mail
electronic download?

me and my 300 baud connection:(
I need a 3 day advanced download window so I don't keep getting knocked off by you fast guys:)

Gavin Scott
03-25-2004, 05:32 PM
Hmmm, no email here. I was getting previous ones just fine. Can someone post what the subject line of their message and the From: address were so I can check to see if Spam Assasin ate it?

Thanks,

G.

Edbittner
03-25-2004, 05:39 PM
I ordered mine from Safe Harbor. Got my DFX+ in the mail , so I know they have my address. No e-mail from them yet though.
Ed

JeF
03-25-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by flohtzke
:( i hate w8'inting

btw. waht's about the non-EU europans (Switzerland)
will it be the same time as the EU countries?

flo

Yep we belong to NT Europe territories ;)
I just hope Swiss customs won't tax us again on LW8 when it ships. They allready took their ransom on the DFX box.. Grrr, I hate taxes.

GeorgeDittmar
03-25-2004, 05:51 PM
me what ever number we are at now. lol

mattclary
03-25-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by lasvideo

http://www.newtek.com/buynow/software/lightwave%2Bdfx.html

"You will get LightWave [8] Electronic Upgrade (4 CDs with program, all new content, Reference manual in electronic format - full-featured HTML Help system) when the software ships, but you will receive DFX+ with Modules 1 & 4 immediately. If you do not have LightWave [7] or [7.5] yet, [7.5] is included (on CD, software only with manual in electronic format-pdf) in this offer."

And it's electronic UPGRADE not download (not you, lasvideo, the other people)

"LightWave 3D [8] will be shipping very soon! In order to make sure you receive your LightWave [8] electronic upgrade without delay, we would like to double check the mailing address we have on file for you.

And yep, I ordered directly from Newtek also.

Beamtracer
03-25-2004, 06:23 PM
I hope you all enjoy your Lightwave 8's when you receive them!

ddho1981
03-25-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by mattclary
http://www.newtek.com/buynow/software/lightwave%2Bdfx.html

"You will get LightWave [8] Electronic Upgrade (4 CDs with program, all new content, Reference manual in electronic format - full-featured HTML Help system) when the software ships, but you will receive DFX+ with Modules 1 & 4 immediately. If you do not have LightWave [7] or [7.5] yet, [7.5] is included (on CD, software only with manual in electronic format-pdf) in this offer."

And it's electronic UPGRADE not download (not you, lasvideo, the other people)

And yep, I ordered directly from Newtek also.

i think the term "electronic" is what is causing the confusion here, because what is a "non-electronic" upgrade? if it's upgrade via shipping discs, then why not just say "your Lightwave 8 Upgrade . . ." ? not trying to come off as an *** or anything. . . the semantics are just kind of confusing is all. see my point? plus the fact that lightwave 7.5 is a downloadable upgrade . . . and content was shipped separately....

T-Light
03-25-2004, 06:38 PM
"I hope you all enjoy your Lightwave 8's when you receive them!"

Enjoy is too small a word. I heard of the new CA capabilities of LW8 back in Autumn 2002. Going by the vids, it's been worth the wait.

I'm also with HRGiger, on the manual, if it's at all possible for Newtek to pop this online during the shipping process so we can have a heads up, I think it will be appreciated by many. :)

archiea
03-25-2004, 06:49 PM
I think it uld be termed Lightwave 8-gasm.....

js33
03-25-2004, 07:00 PM
I'm looking forward to the new character tools, hard/softbody dynamics and the dopesheet/track.

Cheers,
JS

Adrian Lopez
03-25-2004, 07:05 PM
Some may take longer for their localization efforts than others, so some patience and understanding may be needed on that issue. Does this mean that different territories will get different versions of Lightwave 8? If so, what differences will there exist between them?

I've never been a big fan of lumping users into territories. I tend to avoid translations whenever possible, so I'd hate being sent a translated version simply because I live in a particular territory.

T-Light
03-25-2004, 07:39 PM
"Does this mean that different territories will get different versions of Lightwave 8".

I think Chuck's just saying some international distributers will be faster at sending out the products than others. That's fair, some distributers may employ many staff with the capability of a very fast distribution, whilst others just won't have the resources.

On another note, I'm still one of the 'Haven't received the first e-mail yet' brigade. Don't you just hate it when that happens.

Ade
03-25-2004, 07:40 PM
Actually I've responded to that issue a number of times, and do apologize if I missed your specific query. Yes, we are working with our international distributors to make sure that they will be able to ship to their customers concurrently with us, or as close as possible. Some may take longer for their localization efforts than others, so some patience and understanding may be needed on that issue.

Chuck please dont forgot about us Australians...and our Middle Earth cousins (NZ)
We always get the bum rush from everyone, yet we can be the most loyal and constructive in our numbers...

mattclary
03-25-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by ddho1981
i think the term "electronic" is what is causing the confusion here,

I agree, questionable choice of terminology, but based on the evidence it's safe to interpret that the reason they are verifying everyone's address is they are going to send us CDs in the mail.

Their term "electronic" means, not full-blown hard copy.

Signal to Noise
03-25-2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by xeno3d

I got my LW 7.5 thru DMG Publishing which included the DFX+ bundle PLUS a free one year sub to Keyframe Magazine. DMG in turn registered me w/ NewTek and NewTek sends me the email notices :)

Ade
03-25-2004, 08:30 PM
so wens it out?

Moser95814
03-25-2004, 08:41 PM
I also got the email yesterday and I didn't order thru Newtek directly. They are probably going by thier registration Info.

For those who haven't gotten one yet, I'd check with NT to make sure they have your current/correct email address on file.

T-Light
03-25-2004, 08:50 PM
"so wens it out?" - Ade

Shortly :D :eek: :p

Moser95814 - I just noticed that us Euro's are in fact getting our stuff sent by Newtek Europe, good, I don't have the emails yet but I know they have my info. :)

mrunion
03-25-2004, 09:23 PM
For those wondering...

I ordered directly from Newtek last July. I have gotten every e-mail they have sent -- EXCEPT this one. I'm not worried yet, though. We'll see what tomorrow holds.

tjacobs
03-25-2004, 09:38 PM
I also order this last summer, and I have not received this e-mail or the one that was not to be posted. I think I will have to call them again tomorrow.

Moser95814
03-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Someone once said, "Patience is a virtue" and "All good things come to those that wait". Considering what we've all been thru.....I do believe we all shall receive!!! Maybe some sooner than others. And for those others, of whom I hope I'm not one of, I truely "feel your pain"! That was another quote but at the moment I can't recolect who's it was. But, I do believe I see the Light (ver.8).

Amen, and sleep tight. :o

theo
03-25-2004, 11:21 PM
If you didn't receive an email but you are a registered Lightwave user I wouldn't be too worried it. Newtek's probably just prepping and tying down loose ends on the mailing list for the big day.

sjon
03-26-2004, 12:06 AM
Spent the day downloading everyone of Proton's videos and then I got my notice. Although the wait may have seemed interminable, I was one of those suckers who waited for two and a half years for Matrox to upgrade it's RTMac card before I could get into OS X, so this wait was just "a walk in the park." I have been a little leary of playing with character animation, but the new IKBoost functions and amazing bones control in LW8 may just solve that problem. Uh, thanks Proton.

archiea
03-26-2004, 12:15 AM
well be yapping all the same in a month.... don;t hold yoru breaths...

Chris S. (Fez)
03-26-2004, 12:57 AM
When Newtek announced they were passing the Q4 estimate I predicted we would see 8 in April. If it ends up being April you Newtek guys are gonna give me a false sense of supernatural foresight. Save me some money on lotto tickets and make it March.

Karmacop
03-26-2004, 01:43 AM
What if it's released in March but ships in April? Is it still foresight? ;)

ghopper
03-26-2004, 04:08 AM
Guys, I think "very soon" still means a few weeks for the "electronic version". As someone already mentioned, preparing for a global release takes time.

NT haven't really made any big announcements at the GDC, so I guess "show time" is around when NAB launches.

Would be a perfect opportunity for additional publicity.

DeltaF86
03-26-2004, 08:23 AM
NO! Newtek, if you have it done please god release it before NAB! If you hold out I think my head will explode! I'm working with Inspire here!:eek:

Well, I guess no pressure. Get a good product released...BUT DON'T HOLD OUT! we've waited long enough!:(

Librarian
03-26-2004, 08:40 AM
Yeah, let`s wait till Siggraph :D

Netvudu
03-26-2004, 08:47 AM
the only thing that bugs me is that if they happen to release at NAB Im going to think they had it already prepared for release a few weeks ago and decided to wait until NAB for commercial issues...a thought which might be pretty annoying for people who preordered long ago (not me)

DeltaF86
03-26-2004, 08:51 AM
EXACTLY my point vudu!

Karmacop
03-26-2004, 08:51 AM
They're not waiting for NAB, they really are fixing bugs.

ChrisS
03-26-2004, 11:42 AM
I gotta get NT my info - I keep forgetting. I just finished a hot project that took over my life for a couple weeks and I finally have my head above water. I haven't even gotten around to getting my copy of UV edit...:o

Jaffro
03-26-2004, 11:47 AM
NT are not holding back, they're releasing to pre-orders as soon as they can in a fair way world wide. It takes a lot of time between finishing the product to shipping copies to people, esp if they're trying to be fair about things with a world wide release.

ghopper
03-26-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Netvudu
the only thing that bugs me is that if they happen to release at NAB Im going to think they had it already prepared for release a few weeks ago and decided to wait until NAB for commercial issues...a thought which might be pretty annoying for people who preordered long ago (not me)

I don't think NT are holding back, I just presume they've set their deadline to release LW8 when NAB launches, because of the great publicity opportunity.

And I sure do hope they take any "commercial issues" into consideration, if it means more potential revenue for NT when LW8 is being released at NAB, after all this is in our interest as well. More money for NT means it protects our investment.

Anyway, waiting a couple of weeks more shouldn't really be an issue, since we've waited so long already.

( NT, don't forget to showcase LW8 and fPrime together, that should generate a few more sales ;) )