PDA

View Full Version : Mirroring without duplicating

aso3
03-25-2004, 12:59 PM
Hi,

While making an UV map, I would like to mirror some polygons. The problem is that I don't know the right command. I've seen the mirror-tool in /multiply/ but this won't work as it tries to make a duplication. How to mirror the polygons themselved?

Greetings,
Rick

mattclary
03-25-2004, 01:58 PM
If you want to "mirror" without copying, what you really want is a rotate.

Position your pointer over the "mirror" point and hit r, this rotates 90 degrees. There is another key that rotates the opposite direction, but can't remember which one.

aso3
03-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Hi,

Rotating and Mirroring isn't the same mate! Maybe you understood me wrong, take a look at this 'picture':

180 degree rotation:

_______o becomes o_______|
|

While mirroring/flipping (whatever is called) does this :

_______o becomes o_______
| |

I hope its more clear now :)

Greetings,
Rick

bloontz
03-25-2004, 02:26 PM
Try using the stretch tool numeric, use a value of -100% (negative 100 percent) across the appropriate axis. You will need to flip the polys afterward.

aso3
03-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Hi,

Your tip does what I need but for some reason it doesn't work on the UV-map... Only the real geometry gets flipped. But what I need is to mirror it for the UV-map only.

Greetings,
Rick

mkiii
03-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Did you try looking under the tab that has all the UV editing tools?

Use the Flip UV Point Map under the Map Tab, or use Transform UV with a Scale of -100 in U

Make sure you unweld the polys first, or the attached points will be dragged along with the mirrored polys.

Some tools operate on uv polys as you would expect, such as move, rotate, (non numeric) scale / stretch. Others such as mirror do not.

evenflcw
03-26-2004, 06:03 PM
Why not just highlight the half you want mirror. Mirror, and then delete the old half that remains highlighted even after the operation?

mkiii
03-26-2004, 06:51 PM
because mirror doesn't work on UV maps...
If you mirror an object, the uv map stays put, and just puts a second copy of the polygons over the top of the original mapped polys in the UV map.

evenflcw
03-26-2004, 07:34 PM
*Slaps head*

Sorry. It was his first sentence, but still somehow I missed the emphasis on the UVs. Maybe sleep IS a good idea afterall.