PDA

View Full Version : worth the upgrade with AMD-based machine?

sadkkf
03-25-2004, 10:44 AM
So I build a dual AMD machine, stack it full with RAM, buy a great case, lots of fans, fast drives and a few months later VT3 is announced. And it relies on hyperthreading.

I'd love to take advantage of some of 3's features, but is it worth the upgrade when I'm using AMDs? Will I see a performance improvement?

Mostly, I make short vids (talking heads, quick demos, etc.) so I'm very comfortable sticking with 2 for a while.

Just curious to see what other AMD users have found and other insight from the rest of you peoples. :)

videoguy
03-25-2004, 10:56 AM
well you are some what misinformed vt3 does not rely on hyperthreading it uses SSE2 instructions. currently only supported on amd 64 bit chips and intel chips you will see a significant increase in performance especially with the new high quality mode

sadkkf
03-25-2004, 12:47 PM
Really? This is the first I've heard of this. I could have sworn when 3 was announced, it boasted greater performance with hyperthreading.

My mistake.

Reading the NT System Requirements page, I see they have verbiage against using striped IDE drives. That's what I'm using now (WD SE drives) and it works fantastic. Is this different with 3?

ted
03-25-2004, 04:42 PM
Sadkkf, stop looking in from the outside!;)
Unless someone here has had bad luck with your specs, you're going to love the difference between VT2 and 3.

Besides, once you gain the abilities of VT3, you'll be wanting to do more then talking heads and the like.
Go forth and go 3. ;)

Jim Capillo
03-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by sadkkf
Reading the NT System Requirements page, I see they have verbiage against using striped IDE drives. That's what I'm using now (WD SE drives) and it works fantastic. Is this different with 3?

If you go by the numbers, the difference between IDE and 160 SCSI is big (I don't know what the WD's report with the 8mb cache) and if you get the 320's, the difference is huge. My 320 SCSI RAID reports around 3.5 - 4 times faster (in mb/s) than my IDE RAID.

sadkkf
03-26-2004, 03:03 PM
I've had nothing but good luck with my system and really can't afford SCSI drives.

Sadly, my customers are so BORING so talking heads is what I end up doing.

The fun videos I get to do are few and far between.

The one thing I don't like with 2 is the character generator. That's worth the upgrade right there! :)

djlithium
03-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Hi there.

I have built several AMD based MP dual proc systems for clients -assured by newtek that this was okay - only to have them switch things up when the new "CG" was introduced with VT3.

Well guess what??? VT3 works just fine on AMD dual MP processor setups. It bitches when you start it up complaining about the lack of SSE2 but really the only thing effected is the CG. No big loss there for most people.

Now, with the appearance of AMD 64bit procs, yes, I can say that the AMD Opteron dual mobo's out there from Tyan will take a VT3 and make it scream like no dual xeon system can. Still working on getting it to run on Winxp 64bit as there are some driver issues with the card itself, but it does work and work well.
Christ, even the CG works.