PDA

View Full Version : Should Newtek open an ONLINE shop?

Ade
03-25-2004, 07:46 AM
Think about it, everyone gets an account, when an update comes out ppl order it, the online shop could also display and sell:

*The best plugins
*The best deals (eg. LW8 + realviz)
*Tutorial dvds
*Tutorial Books
*Movies like Timothy Albee's Ghost Warrior.
*Lightwave merchandise like Clothing, and things like a Lightwave hotkey keyboard.

This dvd will be a hit and surely many CG lovers will want to buy tims movie and many others on their way, like this they will have to come here to buy it and see newtek and Lightwave everywhere.

A bit like Apple.com and its movie trailers.
trick is to get stuff everyone will come to see.

Wade
03-25-2004, 09:11 AM
Nice quality ball caps and cool t-shirts!

:)

Rich
03-25-2004, 09:32 AM
I want a mouse pad with the Lightwave Logo!

Verlon
03-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Sounds good to me. The premier product of course would be LW8.

I can see the headline now: "Newtek: We put the W8 in LW8, and that is two thirds of the name!

j/k. Seriously, a good place with many plugins (even better, add reviews from the users to said plugins so we can better decide which ones to buy).

All the usual ball caps, t-shirts, mouse pads. That LW hotkey keyboard could be useful.

Perhaps even content like texture collections and models for those who wish to buy such things.

claymation
03-25-2004, 10:33 AM
I seriously hope they focus on making great software and not get caught up in selling memorabilia no matter how much I want Lightwave logo bed sheets

:D

Althought that is not to say They shouldn't get safe harbor, NT Europe or the other venders license to make these things.

julos
03-25-2004, 10:55 AM
The idea is not so stupid, apart from economical purposes it's a service customers would appreciate (the tuts etc..).
You sometimes almost have to "hunt" for products when you're not initiated.

Bytehawk
03-25-2004, 11:01 AM
yes, that would be great. but not only for USA, for europe too pls.

Architook
03-25-2004, 06:14 PM
Online ordering is indeed convienient, especially for overseas. A lot of stuff could be done electronically, too, it looks like LW 8 is electronic. Plus it may be great to have an online history of purchases and dongle keys and so on.. I had to call Newtek once to get codes (again) because I moved machines and forgot to preserve my old key files. My vote is in!

Beamtracer
03-25-2004, 06:28 PM
I can see some advantages for Newtek to sell Lightwave as a totally electronic download. I've got fast ADSL, so it would be very feasible to download a program the size of Lightwave. It's better than going via couriers, the US postal service, or even worse, some of the unreliable distributers than Newtek uses to sell Lightwave internationally.

My earlier post in response to a question in a different thread is relevant:
Originally posted by Beamtracer
If there was an electronic download of LW8, wouldn't that make European users happy?

I have found that Import and Customs police in some European countries are over zealous, ripping open parcels to see what's inside. Sometimes they even charge extra import tax on them.

An electronic download goes straight from the sender to you, making it much quicker (provided you've got ADSL or cable).

Ade
03-25-2004, 07:23 PM
The point to my post is Lightwave has many great plugins BUT for a newbie it takes ages to discover them all.

If Newtek had an online shop it would act as a directory to them all. would also support the plaugin guys to advertise their plugs and would also serve as a huge advertisment to newcomers lookin at using Lightwave...

"Ahh look at all these plugins, hey thats what I used to use in 3ds, so lightwave has somthing similar...cool".... - new user

riki
03-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Sounds like a great idea, as long as it's done for international users as well.

T-Light
03-25-2004, 09:05 PM
International sales and listed plugins would be a great idea. Not so sure about 3rd party criticism though. The last thing you need when making a percentage is a bad review. Users can always go to the forums and search for users experiences if need be.

Another thing to note on selling plugins, not all plugin manufacturers are as reliable as say Worley or Nextlimit. Customers ordering through Newtek may expect compensation if a small company goes under or can't deliver.

Hervé
03-25-2004, 11:51 PM
I'd go for a nice Lw burger...:D

archiea
03-25-2004, 11:58 PM
...and get Mad Newtek Disease!?!?!?!?!

philip
03-26-2004, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Architook
Online ordering is indeed convienient, especially for overseas. A lot of stuff could be done electronically...

credit card information confirmed...

your order is being processed...

please place T-Shirt in your printer and hit Enter :D

Lude
03-26-2004, 08:49 AM
"Should Newtek open an ONLINE shop?"

YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES,YES, just do it Newtek.

Ade
03-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Maybe we could also have an account each and top it with Newtek bucks..

*Newtek bucks are not a form of legal tender.

mlinde
03-26-2004, 10:35 AM
You mean something like this:
http://www.newtek.com/buynow/gear/index.html

http://www.newtek.com/buynow/lw_products.html

http://www.newtek.com/buynow/vt_products.html

Or something else?

cresshead
03-26-2004, 11:43 AM
yeah, like what's available now but expand the range of products to include the new logo [lw8] more apparel:
jackets
tee shirts
sweat shirts
tie
bandana
shirts with the newtek logo
mouse mats
pens
usb mice with newtek logo
keyboards with lightwave shortcut key overlay or print in version.
baseball caps
knitted hats with logo
newtek shoulder bags n rucksacks

stuffed soft toys of the lightwave box character we saw from johnny gorden and alike...

lightwave books
would be good to list the main books covering lightwave
even if it's only hyperlinks

lightwave video/dvd/cdrom training
would be good to list the main video/dvd/cdroms covering lightwave
even if it's only hyperlinks

make em available from resellers in the u.k and surope too so we don't get hit with huge postage costs.

this could bring quite a bit of extra income for newtek too.

pixelinfected
03-26-2004, 05:22 PM
Yeah an online shop which do an equal cost for all world user.

in europe do an update of lw cost not 495$ converted in Euro, but cost something like 495$ + 245$ !!!! since 50% more!!!!

please start an electronic download and payment. if someone not believe me
check http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/dfxoffer/dfx_eu.html
and remember that one euro is more than one dollar...

Nemoid
03-29-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Rich
I want a mouse pad with the Lightwave Logo!

I have it ! it rocks, because it has a quite adhesive surface on the bottom wich allows it to stay on my desk someway fixed to better use my cordless mouse. :)

BTW great pages Mlinde :D

Barred
03-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Pixel, they do that already :)
They just change the $ for £ :(