PDA

View Full Version : Messiah and Animation in Lightwave.

Hollow Earth
03-25-2004, 05:34 AM
Been working outside 3D recently, but want to bring new character animation skills to my existing knowledge of Lightwave.

-----

How well do the animation features in Lightwave 7.5 compare to the ones in 6.5?

Is pmG's messiah:animate a necessary addition still?

Thank you.

Matthew

Hollow Earth
03-26-2004, 02:53 AM
anyone?

retinajoy
03-26-2004, 05:27 AM
Never used Messiah myself but have heard good reports from those I know who use it. Lightwave 8 should be out in a few weeks, which from looking at the videos, seems to have great char anim tools, a lot better than LW vers 6 to 7.5c.

Why not try the Thomas 4D plugin rigging tools, which allows fast rig setups and is free. The site incs video tuts too.

http://www.thomas4d.com/html/rigging_tools.html

Hollow Earth
03-26-2004, 07:38 AM
thanks for your feedback.

matt

Carm3D
03-29-2004, 05:05 AM
I bought Messiah and did one big project with it.

Then I sold it.

Messiah is fast, fast, fast.. Muscle-bones are a snap to integrate. The ability to re-order the list of expressions is very cool and LW could benefit from this. But the things I didn't like are (in order of importance):

a) It's "MetaEffector" system of creating weight maps. WHAT A PAIN!! Plus they were sometimes buggy and didn't work right.

b) The graph editor; LW's is superior and quicker to work in

c) It's soft body dynamics system is fast but crap. Even crappier with MetaEffector weights (buggy). LW's dynamics are slow but they work. Version 8 will be much improved

d) I don't like Messiah's bone falloff. Maybe this is where Messiah's gets it's speed. Lightwave bones feel much more natural (organic) to me.

e) Spring bones.. Forget it.. They don't work.

f) no schematic view like we enjoy in LW

Some people love it.. Stop by the CGTalk Messiah forum and ask.. But I felt it was a waste of money. In my opinion Lightwave 8 with it's orthopedic tools, dope sheet and new dynamics features will make Messiah useless.

Hollow Earth
03-29-2004, 05:21 AM
wow! excellent information! thank you! matthew