PDA

View Full Version : Loading Image Sequences . . .

Matt
03-25-2004, 05:16 AM
I've been having problems using a Quicktime movie as a surface over Screamernet, some nodes just left it out resulting in a flickering movie, not what I wanted.

So I've decided to see if an image sequence will fair any better.

The animation isn't huge, 600 frames, but the Windows Explorer file requester won't let me load all the frames in, I can select them all but nothing happens.

So I have to load them in batches, this is a pain.

The LightWave file requester is even worse, although I can right mouse click and say select all files, it just crashes on me (that or it takes an un-acceptable amount of time).

It would be sooooooo much easier if I could select a folder and load all the images inside.

Very simple change, would speed up workflow no end.

Thanks
Matt

Lightwolf
03-25-2004, 05:33 AM
Hi Matt,
You don't need to select all files, just the first one. Load it like a normal image, and tell LW it is a sequence...

Very weird problems you have there though. I assume your drives are NTFS formatted, right?

I've handles sequences with literally thousands of files in a single directory without a hitch so far (although explorer likes to take a nap when I delete them).
Cheers,
Mike

Matt
03-25-2004, 05:46 AM
Oh thank fudge for that!!! :)

Even so, it's made me realise just how damn slow some of the 'basics' can be in LightWave, it really needs a shake up.

Damn manual! Just read the part about sequences again, it can be mis-read that you only need to select one file in the sequence (after you've loaded them all in).

If it said something like "to use a series of images as a sequence, select just ONE of the images from disk, set its type to sequence, LightWave will then scan the rest of the directory to locate all the others without you having to load every single frame in"

That would be better!!! :)

BTW: Thanks Mike, saved my *** again! :)

Lightwolf
03-25-2004, 05:48 AM
Hi Matt,

Originally posted by Matt
BTW: Thanks Mike, saved my *** again! :)
Lol, anytime :D
Cheers,
Mike

Matt
03-25-2004, 05:54 AM
Have to say, just when you think NT have done something daft, they haven't! Apologies NT! :)

(Just wish these little 'tips' were easier to find!!!!)

Panikos
03-25-2004, 06:52 AM
You can also decompose the MOV / AVI into separate frames and Load the first frame as sequence.

Personally I tend to assist software in various ways to simplify the task, either by pre-editting the footage or by manually assembling some effects.
:)

Lightwolf
03-25-2004, 07:00 AM
Yeah, across the network I always render from and to image sequences.
It tends to be more efficient as well, since, depending on the codec (keyframes etc), it can take "ages" for a loader to retrieve a particular frame, because the codec might have to decompress preceeding pictures as well. Quite deadly if you render frames out of order.
This is true for compositing as well. Random access to single frames tends to be mucho faster.
Cheers,
Mike

Matt
03-25-2004, 07:05 AM
No it makes sense, I'd rather use sequences than a movie!

Now I can! yippee! :) And the screamernet issue has gone (as I suspected it would! Yeah!