PDA

View Full Version : DVD Authoring Software Recommendation

smclaugh5
03-25-2004, 04:58 AM
What is best for DVD creation, including menus, etc? I have looked at Ulead and Adobe. Are there other apps which interface well with Toaster? (Dual Xeon, VT3 patch 3)

Steve McLaughlin

videoguy
03-25-2004, 06:16 AM
i personally use adobe encore. I love it !!! it has imense power but with a non confusing interface. it works reallly well with the vt3 avi wrapper. i dont think there is a better authoring program out there for the money .

sadkkf
03-25-2004, 08:23 AM
I use DVD Workshop from Ulead. Version 1 is a bit quirky, and am just now upgrading to 2, but it works great and is quite affordable, considering all the power it has.

I was very curious about Encore because I've loved Premiere in my days before Toaster, but I'm a bit turned off to Adobe after Photoshop CS.

If Videoguy and anyone else using Encore can talk about it, I'd love to hear more.

smclaugh5
03-25-2004, 08:28 AM
Thanks, I've looked at this app, and I'm glad to know you found the learning curve acceptable.

sadkkf
03-25-2004, 08:45 AM
It's easy enough to learn and use. Keep in mind I do all my encoding with TMPEG because it's much cleaner than Ulead's. As far as menu generation, though, it's a snap.

mgrusin
03-25-2004, 10:27 AM
I'll put in a plug for DVD-Lab (www.mediachance.com (http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/index.html)). It's from a small developer, but it's very cheap (<$100, 30 day unrestricted trial), under active development (surprisingly pro features are showing up in the betas), and most of all I like the workbench - wide open, with no hand-holding at all unlike most software in this price range (this can be good and bad). It doesn't do any encoding itself (it leaves that step for you and your favorite encoder), but the betas have support for TMPGenc MPEG and AC-3 encoder plugins. Like most authoring software, it doesn't specifically interface to VT3; you create output files from VT3, then encode them separately and load them into DVD-Lab.

Caveat: it's being developed by a smaller company, so there are likely to be more bugs and incompatibilites than a product from a larger company. In other words, if you need professional output, you should pay for a professional package. I've had my share of problems with it, but for the price it's a great tool.

Good luck! -MG

smclaugh5
03-25-2004, 11:09 AM
Nice web site, try before you buy is interesting.

bbeanan
03-25-2004, 11:51 AM
I just got Adobe Encore and literally within 1 hour of installing it I had a DVD DONE with motion menu and everything (it was a 15min. video) I had rendered my project out as a DV1 AVI file and it all worked very well and fast. I had never used the software before.

Check eBay I got a copy for about $180

Faraz
03-25-2004, 01:35 PM
I love Encore... Its very compatible and a complete solution.

Rich Deustachio
03-25-2004, 02:50 PM
Brett, did you use it to encode to mpeg2 also?

bbeanan
03-25-2004, 03:27 PM
sure did, it was a bit slow (at least slower than TMPGNC) but it worked out just fine... granted My original source was VHS so the footage was not the best to begin with.

Kurt_Henning
03-25-2004, 03:30 PM
we have Ulead and Encore.

I like Encore and my biz partner likes Ulead.

I think encore encodes faster than TMPGENc IMHO.

So, either go Adobe or Ulead, they both work and create nice DVDs daily.

kleima
03-25-2004, 07:12 PM
I've researched this for a long time, and bought several, and tried the 30 day demos of others, and none have been acceptable. Now from my research Encore is the first decent authoring program less than 90K. So, although I haven't yet used it, I am about to buy it. (After all the pain with all the other solutions I have tried, this one has been much more carefully considered!)

videoguy
03-25-2004, 08:23 PM
i think you will be very happy. the tight intergration photoshop makes makeing custom menus a breeze

RayLarson
03-26-2004, 06:46 AM
Is anyone using the avi wrapper with the upgrade of DVD Workshop?? I know it does not work well with DVD Workshop 1. I am curious. I have DVD Workshop 1 and love it but the upgrade is pricey and I am either going to upgrade or go to Adobe Encore. Could use some input. Just would like to eliminate that step thru TMPEG for the sake of labor time.

Demon8
03-26-2004, 07:31 AM
What's the process of coming out of VT# into Encore DVD or Ulead DVD Workshop.

videoguy
03-26-2004, 07:58 AM
file > save as >
change format to *.avi
>name it click save

open up a new project in encore click import as assest go find the file and boom bang your done!

ScorpioProd
03-26-2004, 01:11 PM
I'll put my plug in for Ulead's DVD Workshop AC-3. It's what I use and I'm totally happy with it. I have DVD Workshop 2.0 on order now.

mgrusin
03-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Hi Eugene, if you have the time please post your impressions of DVDWS2 once you've put it through its paces. I've been playing with the free trial, and although the interface takes some getting used to, the results look very solid.

Thanks! -MG.

Demon8
03-27-2004, 03:35 AM
When I try to import the *.avi project into Encore, it gives me an error say "(Could not import file Concert.avi. The file file may be corrupt or the type may not be supported)" Is the anything I could be doing wrong? I save project as *.avi then closed VT3, open Encore. Try doing the Import Asset it keep giving me that error. I have Toaster Build 4744. Also tried starting a whole new project and still get the same message.

Paul Lara
03-27-2004, 02:56 PM
It may be due to the avi wrapper's compressed audio.
Render out an uncompressed wav file of your project with the same name, and save it in the folder with the avi wrapper.

videoguy
03-27-2004, 10:34 PM
i have no problem at all with the avi wrapper and encore. maybe you unistall the vt3 suite install the shipping build the update 3

smclaugh5
03-29-2004, 05:57 AM
After a tryout and further research, it should be noted that Adobe Encore only runs on XP. My Toaster is still W2k. Secondly, Encore is picky about .avi format, whereas my cheap Roxio burner will handle nearly anything. Roxio is not robust enough, just a comment on Encore. Ulead Video Workshop does install on W2K OS systems. I think one may wish to try mpeg2 render out of Toaster. I'll comment when I get more time to experiment.

Steve McLaughlin

robewil
03-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by smclaugh5
I think one may wish to try mpeg2 render out of Toaster. This is not possible with the VT. While I'm here, I'll add my endorsement for the combo of TMPGEnc and DVD-Lab as my recommended DVD solution for VT. It is inexpensive, straight-forward, and full-featured.