PDA

View Full Version : G5 & G4 network render-jaguar/panther????

PeteS
03-24-2004, 06:55 PM
I just landed a nice size job that justifies getting a new computer (and monitor-LCD).

I only have 6 weeks to model and animate. I was hoping to gain some time by buying a G5 and networking it to my G4.
Does lightwave work well on a G5? I know the new ones come with panther. also, would there be a problem if the G4 is on jaguar?
then...i ordered the 8 upgrade. does 8 work on panther? maybe i'll wait to 8 for the g5. again, would it network with a g4 jaguar again?

thanks.

Beamtracer
03-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Nobody here knows how well Lightwave 8 works with Panther, until LW8 is released. I think we could assume that it would be OK.

I'm using LW7.5c with Panther 10.3.3. I've been using this combination for the last week with good results (previously I used OS 10.2.7 which was fine).

When you get your new G5 you should immediately install the free upgrade from OS 10.3 to 10.3.3. (10.3.0-10.3.2 caused a bug with LW's graph editor which was fixed with 10.3.3)

PeteS
03-24-2004, 07:19 PM
now i'm confused.
1) i heard 7.5c sucks on a MAC. no mater what the OS

2) i heard 7.5 suck on panther.

has this been fixed?

are you using a G5? if so, is it much faster?

thanks for your help:)

mlinde
03-24-2004, 09:28 PM
There are certain features of 7.5c that don't work, that worked in previous versions of 7.5
In addition, 7.5c brought back some plugins that had been missing from the OSX version of Lightwave (like object replacement).

If you don't need the functions that are broken in 7.5c, you can use it in the following versions of Mac OS X:

If you are running Panther (10.3.x) you must upgrade to 10.3.3 to run lightwave effectively.

Beamtracer has a G5, he speaks highly of it often.

I suppose I should mention that there is a workaround that allows you most of the features of 7.5c without the big bugs. You can read about it in other threads here.

meanlebh
03-24-2004, 09:31 PM
I am using Panther on a G5 with 7.5c....Since the 10.3.3 update about a week ago, I have not had any problems with either modeler or Layout. Yes, the G5 is incredibly fast, and worth every penny and we can only hope that LW will be even faster on it once there are some optimizations in LW8. However, there have been rumors that Apple is releasing the new G5's very soon (hopefully for real this time). So if you can afford to wait, then it would probably be worth while to do so. But if not, then the DP 2ghz G5's are no slouch by any means, and will blow away any G4 around.

In other words, the G5's with Panther are great, and LW is very stable on them. I use PC's with LW at least a few times a week, and I have more problems in these few hours a week with LW on PC's then I ever do at home on my Mac. (I am not trying to say that PC's are bad by any means, I am just trying to show that the rumors of LW on the Mac being unstable are merely not true).

PeteS
03-24-2004, 09:39 PM
ok. so i feel a bit better about panther. thanks for the heads up. Now how about networking the 2 for a render farm? does the g4 need to be the same os?

i have osx versions of evrything but quark. which i need at home sometimes (all the time at work). Anyway i don't have the new osx version. panther doesn't have a classic enviornment does it? so i need the g4 with jaguar. but it would be a shame not to use the dual 800's for rendering!

also, i think i'd like to use render farm commander (http://www.brucerayne.com). have any of you used it? i'm a bit leary of setting up screamernet. this is cheap and does it for you!

Beamtracer
03-24-2004, 09:55 PM
There are some Screamernet OS X tutorials around. I haven't got the links anymore, but if you search through this Mac forum you'll find them.

You may find that the G5 is so much faster than the G4 that it may not be worth your time to network them. I guess you should give it a go to find out.

PeteS
03-24-2004, 10:23 PM
well i think you guys gave me some answers! thanks for your time, us mac guys gota stick together!

BTW, you gotta get fprime! not only is it all you heard of, but on a mac, it doesn't crap out on huge renders. I'm doing a 30 meg file with radiosity and it's doing great. it's a comlex scene too. pretty hi poly. When i tried to render it using f9 it crapped out as soon as the first pixels showed!

thanks again.
pete

drmcdonald
03-25-2004, 01:01 AM
About two months ago I added a dual 2 GHz G5 to my dual 533 MHz G4 and since then I've run most of the LW benchmarks on both machines to compare. The G5 is roughly 4 times faster rendering... just about what you would expect for the difference in processor speed. The G5 does have 2.5 GB of RAM while the G4 has only 1.25 GB so that might make a slight difference.
So, it doesn't seem like the software is at all optimized for the G5 yet. Still, 4 times faster is nothing to scoff at.

Johnny
03-25-2004, 02:22 AM
just my 2 cents here...my view is that every little bit helps in SNet. I also have a G5, plus a DP G4 and an iBook. my current LW project has renders going that take between 24 and 48 hours.

I personally feel it's significant and worth it to include the G4 at all times, and the iBook when possible to lop off approximately 25% or so of the total rendering time. I'm using Renderfarm Commander, so the extra fussing around to set things up is negligible, and more than worth it to get my segments done in that much less time than they'd be done were the G5 blasting away all by itself.

but even if I were using LW's own native screamernet set up, for me it's almost like giving a 25% speed boost to the G5 by including the other, slower Macs to the mix.

J

Barnaby Gunning
03-25-2004, 04:51 AM
I would suggest giving Bruce Raynes's Render Farm Commander a try. It mac-ifies using screamernet without all the tedious fidding around.

www.brucerayne.com

Beamtracer
03-25-2004, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Johnny
I personally feel it's significant and worth it to include the G4 at all times, and the iBook when possible to lop off approximately 25% or so of the total rendering time. That's fair enough. My G4 is an older model, so it was a long way short of the G5!

Don't forget Jonathon Baker's Screamernet Controller. He has a tutorial too:
http://www.catalystproductions.cc/screamernet/

mlinde
03-25-2004, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by PeteS
i have osx versions of evrything but quark. which i need at home sometimes (all the time at work). Anyway i don't have the new osx version. panther doesn't have a classic enviornment does it? so i need the g4 with jaguar. but it would be a shame not to use the dual 800's for rendering! Panther does have the classic compatibility environment. The only thing I can think of that you may have misunderstood is that your G5 can't boot into OS 9 as a standalone OS. There are still far too many folks who use OS 9 part or whole to drop classic just yet.

mlinde
03-25-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
You may find that the G5 is so much faster than the G4 that it may not be worth your time to network them. I guess you should give it a go to find out. Hey Beam! I always argue with you on this one. ;)

If you get a reliable network rendering setup, any processor power you throw at an animation is a good thing. I firmly believe this, unless you are doing extremely short animations or stills. Even if the G5 renders 5:1 to the G4, you still get done 20% faster by adding the second machine.

You don't need to be running the same version of OS X on your network machines to use LWSN. You DO need to have a solid, reliable setup to make it useful. I have 5 machines I render with (when I can use them all), 3 macs & 2 pcs. My Macs run 10.3.3, 10.2.8, and 10.1.5. My PCs run Win 2K. Getting them to communicate well was the biggest issue, once I overcame those challenges network rendering is a charm.

In addition, network rendering isn't just for Lightwave. I use AE's network rendering as well (but only on the Macs) and I believe firmly in it.

PeteS
03-25-2004, 10:00 AM
well, goog thread guys!
i must say you demystified the screamernet thing for me. i'm gonna do it!

so, would you guys buy a g5 now or wait till the price drop when the next model comes?:rolleyes:

Johnny
03-25-2004, 10:03 AM
I've heard others say that they expect an announcement of faster G5s any day now. but according to Steve Jobs, the 3Ghz G5 won't show up until this summer, at least 3 months from now.

3 months is a LOT of rendering time if you get the G5 now...

J

mlinde
03-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by PeteS
so, would you guys buy a g5 now or wait till the price drop when the next model comes?:rolleyes: Well, since the next generation of G5 has been "coming" for over 3 months, I wouldn't hold my breath for a new model at this point. Seems like the newer G5 processor may be in short supply, since the XServe (which was announced in January) is just barely shipping single-processor units.

If you were the speculating type, you would realize that Apple has a memory promotion that expires on March 27th, so if there were an update forthcoming, it would be after that. But, frankly, I'm tired of hearing about the "new G5" that's "out any day now." I know people who put off 2003 tax-deductible purchases in December expecting it in January, and they may still be waiting. Think of the work you could have got done in the last 3 months if you had already bought it!

PeteS
03-25-2004, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't hold my breath for a new model at this point. Seems like the newer G5 processor may be in short supply, since the XServe (which was announced in January) is just barely shipping single-processor units.

just so i know what we're talking about, the "new, unseen" g5 comming out. is it just that it's gonna be a dual 3Ghz processor. or is it a brand new technology chip..um...thing.

Boo!
03-25-2004, 02:01 PM
...dont know if this will help but i bumped into this...

http://www.appleinsider.com/news.php?id=402

:D