PDA

View Full Version : Model refuses to start - random

FenrirWolf
03-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Okay, some of you might remember me complaining about incessant crashes with Lightwave 7.5c. One of the things recommended was to down-grade to 7.5b. I did so, and the crashes mostly went away.

Anyway, I am still having one problem that is driving me batty. Sometimes, modeler refuses to start. At times, it's after I get a crash (always the crash comes from clearing a scene in Layout), but sometimes I can just exit LW entirely (closing down Hub too) -- go play a game, or just surf the net or whatever, and when I start LW back up later, modeler will boot all the way up, draw all of its screens. Then exit.

Layout starts up fine, and works. I've tried cleaning out my hub's temporary files and it makes no difference.

When modeler starts to do this, I have to reboot my computer to get it work. But the weird thing is, sometimes I have to reboot my PC twice before modeler will start up.

Has anyone else been having any problems along these lines? This really sucks, because it makes me feel like I have to walk on eggshells around a program that cost more than my installed OS plus PC hardware combined...

mrunion
03-24-2004, 05:56 PM
Well, it's hard to say what the problem is, but I do have a few quetions that may assist someone in determining the problem:

That OS (I assume Windows 2K or XP?)
Is there any error message(s) in the Application Event Log?
When Modeler closes, does it just "go away" -- like *poof* then gone?
When it doesn't restart, doe you get an error message or just that Modeler starts, then goes away?
What Hardware? (Processor, RAM, Vid Card)

I personally am inclined to believe Video Driver issues. Have you reduced your Video acceleration from Full to something lower -- or even None?

Also, I personally have never had stability problems with 7.5c. I know others have stated they have, but I have not experienced any trouble with it, FWIW.

FenrirWolf
03-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Here's a breakdown of the hardware:

2x 1600 AMD Athlon MP
1024 MB ECC RAM
GeForce 4 Ti 4600 (128M, branded as LeadTek A250 Ultra)
Tian Tyger MB (AMD 760 chipset)

The OS is Windows XP, updated with latest MS fixes. The drivers are Detonator 44.XX-ish (I think 44.43, but I can verify once I am home). I was using the latest nForce drivers, but they caused my system to behave real strange (for example, my OpenGL game engine started to run at 5 fps...), so I reverted.

As for the app error logs -- I'll check that out.

But yes, modeler starts up, displays all four viewpoints -- and then closes, as if I had rapidly clicked the close button or slammed ALT-F4 I remember someone saying there was a way to disable the hub, which I though was the "-nohub" switch, but upon executing that modeler starts, says the file "nohub" doesn't exist, and then when I click OK exits. No error dialogs.

FenrirWolf
03-24-2004, 09:16 PM
*cough* I was wrong on the video driver. I had upgraded it to 53.03.

I checked my app log. There's nothing about modeler. The last time LW crashed, however, in Layout I got this error:

<i>Faulting application lightwav.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module lwtools3.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000899ef.</i>

That's the only error message pertaining to LW that I see.