PDA

View Full Version : Texturing in Model

peteb
03-24-2004, 11:20 AM
Not sure if I posted this a while back, I don't think I did. I was trying to texture something in model but was suprised that when I moved the model around the texture slid. Apparently this was because the texture is stuck to the models original position or something like that. I just thought that this was really strange, why would you want that. If you did then surely you'd just tick world coordinates. I feel that this isn't really keeping a consistancy between the two modes. Shouldn't model be the same as Layout when texturing? I'd like to see this in 8.5 or whatever the next available version will be.

mkiii
03-24-2004, 11:42 AM
This has come up plenty of times on this forum, and been explained ad-nauseum. Do a quick search or two, & you'll get plenty of explanations why this happens.

In short. a mesh in modeler is not an object. Normal mapping types use the axis of the model/layer to define their position. They are fixed in relation to that point. When you move a polygon, you move it in relation to the axis, so the results are exactly as they should be.

If you want to fix the texture coordinates of a mesh in modeler, then :-

a: don't apply mapping until you finish your modelling, or...
b: use UV mapping.

Chris S. (Fez)
03-24-2004, 02:17 PM
Looks like an opportunity to repeat an old request of mine.

Perhaps projection texture coordinates could be based on an endomorph of a model? This would allow us to deform the endomorph to make the model more projection friendly. A texture referencing this "Projectomorph," or what have you, would stick to the model when scaled and/or deformed.

Of course, you might ask why get so convoluted when UVs without distortion would also work?

peteb
03-25-2004, 03:15 AM
Yeah I'm aware of the reason it does this my question was more why. I don't get why it has to be different to Layout?

Nemoid
03-25-2004, 03:31 AM
Texture your models using layout. its way better.

however, maybe I'm totally missing te point, but Menithings had a tutorial on how to make better UV maps, using endomorph in the process to make the model UV friendly.