PDA

View Full Version : Renderfarm via screamernet & FIREWIRE?

Ade
03-17-2003, 09:45 AM
Is it possible to setup a small render farm of two firewire equipped macs using firewire instead of ethernet? If so how?

jdavidbakr
03-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Why do you not want to use Ethernet? The principle of ScreamerNet is that the remote computers have access to the host's drive, and I am not aware of a firewire method of connecting two computers together, but any way you can mount a drive on the remote computer will enable you to run ScreamerNet.

mlinde
03-17-2003, 12:34 PM
There was, at one point, a beta version of IP over Firewire from apple, but I don't know that it ever got out of beta, or that it works well. If you want to check it out, go to
http://developer.apple.com/firewire/IP_over_FireWire.html

I don't know if it works, or if it's even still available...

Ade
03-17-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by jdavidbakr
Why do you not want to use Ethernet? The principle of ScreamerNet is that the remote computers have access to the host's drive, and I am not aware of a firewire method of connecting two computers together, but any way you can mount a drive on the remote computer will enable you to run ScreamerNet.

Firewire is plug n play, and is simply easier to network with, connect to macs together, startup holding T on the host and it will mount the others HDs on the desktop...Easy peazy.

Miles
03-18-2003, 01:02 AM
:eek:

Ade
03-18-2003, 02:36 AM
Apple was working on somthing and released as beta but now is pulled! I think apple knows what Im asking for... Apple IP over Firewire (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/17262)

Anyone get a chance to try this before the pull, or if u are a developer u can still access it.

Beamtracer
03-18-2003, 11:48 PM
Firewire has lots of advantages over Ethernet. The main advantage of Firewire is that it's cheaper. A Firewire hub is much cheaper than a fast Ethernet hub.

Firewire over IP would produce an easy, cheap, cross-platform solution.