PDA

View Full Version : Batch capture file unuseable???

John Melvin
03-23-2004, 06:49 PM
Capture clip manually as DV file type 1 or 2 and it is fine. But, with batch capture the file is unuseable. Everything works just fine in batch capture except the captured file is not useable.
There is no icon.

Capturing from JVC DV 600 deck via firewire. Manual capture works just fine. Batch capture works just fine except VT3 does not recognize the file format.

John

John Melvin
03-23-2004, 08:21 PM
It was not anything stupid I did, not this time. I kept monking with it until I got VT3 to crash. I killed winrtme, opened up VT3 and low and behold it worked.

Bug somewhere. But, have no idea as to how to get this to happen again.

From the lack of response I got on this problem I assume nobody else has run into this.

Thanks

John

bradl
03-23-2004, 08:55 PM
You may know all this, but just in case:

With DV files, VT has to 'process' them the first time they are dropped on Timeline. Not sure what all it has to do, but it must de-mux the audio, create several hidden files in the info folder and create the sound level graphic icon. If you or your computer did not let these processes happen, which can take up to minute or more, before moving on, it can cause problems.

John Melvin
03-24-2004, 07:34 AM
That is not what was happening. It just captured corrupt files. I eventually crashed VT3 restarted after killing winrtme and it worked just fine.

I think what caused this was that the operator, not me, spent several hours logging tapes using the deck control. Then went to batch capture to capture them. I think somehow using the deck control module out of batch capture monked batch capture up somehow.

Anyway, it is working for now.

Thanks

John

ted
03-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Glad it's working. I did several successful Batch Captures yesterday.
One thing people must learn, (unfortunately!!!), computers get confused and they just screw with you.
I've gotten to the point, if I have a client coming in and I've been cranking on a computer for hours, using various applications, I'll do a re-boot before they walk in the door. Because inevitably, as the client sits down behind you, that's when all the commands you've thrown at the computer will decide to go whacky!:(

So when things START to get whacky, I'll re-boot at the next safe window or I'll get burned when I can't afford to.

Have you guys ever heard the one, "If cars ran like computers"?
That great story says it all!:p

John Melvin
03-24-2004, 11:57 AM
I thought it was fixed but the DV files batch capture records are corrupt. On the surface they seem O.K. but they crash VT3 after mouse overing 3 of them.

I have had to revert to capturing component with Rs 422 control but even then batch capture aborts during the capture. A restart of batch capture eventually gets all of them but no way I can go off and leave this thing and think it will do the job.

Are you aware of any magic presets or settings for RS 422 control of the JVC DV 600 deck??

Thanks

John