PDA

View Full Version : NewTek deserves better

animotion
03-23-2004, 04:46 PM
Lets face it, if it werent for NewTek a lot of us would not be able to afford the $100.00 editing systems that would still be in existence or the 10-20 thousand dollar animation packages that companies would be shoving down our throats.

NewTek was the company soley responsible for the "paradigm shift" in video production that allows us to do what we do!!!
If we don't stop bashing them this could turn auround and bite us all in the ***!!! If somthing happend to NewTek we could be forced to buy overpriced packages that charge as much as LW's base price or more just for upgrades, or C4D, I hope not.

Chuck, don't let them get to you. As I stated before I deal with customers all over the country, believe me I know how it is.

Who knows maybe it could be some of NewTeks competition thats sending some of these negitive posts, think about it!

I bet a lot of these bad posters are going to feel real foolish after this is over.

Animotion
;)

Edbittner
03-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Amen, bro!
Ed

T-Light
03-23-2004, 05:13 PM
"Who knows maybe it could be some of NewTeks competition thats sending some of these negitive posts, think about it! "

Er, What's there to think about, the competition will be invading these forums like a virus. If Lightwave 8's as good as the videos portray, the competition has COMPETITION, period.

Be afraid.

KillMe
03-23-2004, 05:27 PM
from this point on anyone saying anything negative will be reguarded as an Alias employee and will be chased to the ends of the earth and beyond :D there to be lynched my the rabid lightwave fans :eek:

ericsmith
03-23-2004, 05:27 PM
Come on, this is a bit ridiculous.

Newtek is a company. They sell a product, and we buy it. it's as simple as that. They don't owe us anything unless they take our money in exchange for a product. If they decided to go out of business tommorow that would be their right. All the Lightwave users would either have to use the current version of Lightwave forever or buy a different 3d package. But the fact is, they DID take our money and promised to give us LW version 8. They missed their Q4 2003 deadline. It happens, and most LW users are not jumping ship to other packages. But now a lot of users are starting to get disturbed by what seems like a very vague and nebulous idea of when this product will actually be released. For those that already paid, and had expectations, their frustration is reasonable.

But we don't owe Newtek some kind of patriotic allegence. They didn't single handedly break the tyranny of the giant galactic empire of other video editing and 3d apps to bring freedom and software to us. They are simply one of many software companies providing a product for a price. They do their best to make great software at a great price just like all the other companies. To say that they are soley responsible for allowing all us common folk to be able to edit video on a personal computer is nuts. There have been plenty of inexpesive yet high quality video editing and 3d solutions around for years that didn't rely on Newtek.

And don't think for a minute that this flurry of forum activity is actually preventing them from doing their job. They have priorities, and the fact is, if they have to choose between answering all our questions or working on getting LW 8 released, this forum isn't going to be the first thing on their to do list.

Eric

riki
03-23-2004, 05:33 PM
As custommers we can at times be a greedy and ungrateful bunch. But we have a fairly robust relationship.

cheers and goodwill to Newtek

harlan
03-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Sheeesh...how many of these stupid threads do we need? No offense to all you easily offended.

You wanna know how to show your NewTek appreciation? Buy their products.

This is Business people, it's not a marriage. Let's not keep suckling the teat here.

PS - I was a little bored today, so I thought I'd try and incite some rioting.

DigiLusionist
03-23-2004, 07:18 PM
heh heh

He said "suckling teat..."

pblacklock
03-23-2004, 07:20 PM
cheers everyone

animotion
03-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Don't touch the left one, that ones mine!!
I guess i'm just a sucker for 3D.
Animotion

:mad:

animotion
03-23-2004, 08:53 PM
They have my money too. All I'm saying is lets ease up, we'll all get there.

Animotion

:)

Nemoid
03-24-2004, 02:52 AM
Animotion :

Ditto!!

:D

Kvaalen
03-24-2004, 06:01 AM
I agree. I'm really fed up with people complaining. I barley frequent this forum or the CGTalk one because of that.

Some people don't seem to get into their heads that NewTek wants to realease LightWave [8]. They aren't doing all they can to keep it away from us like some selfish bully.

:mad:

mkiii
03-24-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by ericsmith
Come on, this is a bit ridiculous.

Newtek is a company. They sell a product, and we buy it. <big snip> They have priorities, and the fact is, if they have to choose between answering all our questions or working on getting LW 8 released, this forum isn't going to be the first thing on their to do list.

Eric

Well said Eric. Saved me a load of typing.

;)

Right. Now that's clear, can we drop the rose tinted spectacles & get real.

Asking questions of Newtek on their new product & when we are likely to see it is not in any way going to bring the company to it's knees. Keep it polite, stay calm, and who knows, Chuck might give us a little more info on the 'real' release date soon.

Chuck
03-24-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by ericsmith
They didn't single handedly break the tyranny of the giant galactic empire of other video editing and 3d apps to bring freedom and software to us.

Actually, we did, and our engineering teams have won three Emmy awards in the process. Two were for the original Video Toaster which is widely acknowledged as having launched the desktop video revolution and created whole new careers for folks who would previously not have been able to work as video producers under the old "big iron" paradigm of professional video production. One was for LightWave, which did indeed change the cost paradigm in film and broadcast by being the first fully professional application at such a low price point and with free unlimited render nodes, a point covered in the Emmy nomination that was significant in the judging, as well as the many Emmy-winning and Emmy-nominated projects that talented artist produced over the years.

They are simply one of many software companies providing a product for a price. They do their best to make great software at a great price just like all the other companies.

This is true as well.

To say that they are soley responsible for allowing all us common folk to be able to edit video on a personal computer is nuts. There have been plenty of inexpesive yet high quality video editing and 3d solutions around for years that didn't rely on Newtek.

Yes, a lot of companies followed where NewTek led and this has been a mature industry for a good many years now.

And don't think for a minute that this flurry of forum activity is actually preventing them from doing their job. They have priorities, and the fact is, if they have to choose between answering all our questions or working on getting LW 8 released, this forum isn't going to be the first thing on their to do list.

Eric

Actually, listening to customers and doing our best to give them timely answers to their questions and concerns is a priority. Each of us here has to wear several hats, and so making sure we listen all the time and that we respond as best we can does mean that we have to juggle other priorities.

animotion
03-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Thank you Chuck that is what is was talking about.

Animotion

:)

Stranahan
03-24-2004, 11:02 AM
I don't want to get nit picky, but I only remember two Emmy awards for Newtek - one for Toaster, one for LightWave - did I miss one?

riki
03-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Hey Lee good to see you around again. I'm predicting there might be a pickup in the LW Courseware Industry soon.

Here's hoping :)

Chuck
03-25-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Stranahan
I don't want to get nit picky, but I only remember two Emmy awards for Newtek - one for Toaster, one for LightWave - did I miss one?

That had been my impression, but Tim informed me otherwise recently. Video Toaster won two Emmys in the year it took the award.