PDA

View Full Version : Let's get behind Newtek!!

theo
03-23-2004, 12:17 PM
You know guys- its funny, but right now I am really impatient with Newtek and down-right perturbed, as well, but I am still behind this company 100%. I think a majority of us are really nervous right now and we have purchased the right to be so for $495.00.

But I'll tell you what- I really believe that maybe we ought to step up to the plate and give these guys a hand of support and encouragement. It sounds like they have been through the wringer as far as losing some key people and that would hurt anyone in this crowd!

So maybe we ought to back off for another month or so and really just give these guys some space. I have decided that I will.

Nothing in life is perfect and in the big picture $495.00 is a drop in the bucket compared to what we will get in return, I do believe.

C'mon guys let's make this thread super positive:)

Nemoid
03-23-2004, 01:19 PM
Oh yeah! :) you're very right.
Nt team is doing surely its best to satisfy us always moaning and complaining users. complaining is waay easy compared to developing an app. They deserve all our respect. :)

cyphyr
03-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Big up to the Newtek team :D
Bring it on :D

tjacobs
03-23-2004, 01:47 PM
I bought the upgrade last summer and Newtek still has my vote of confidence. As much grief some users are giving them, I believe a lot more grief would have been dealt out if Newtek had bow to the pressure and release a buggy LW8 in Q4. No one would have won in that case. So raise your glasses and give a toast to Newtek.

theo
03-23-2004, 02:10 PM
clink!:D

eggy
03-23-2004, 02:15 PM
what you mean with get behind newtek.

They are already way behind if you compare Lightwave with XSI, Maya or even Max.

But you are right about the bang for a buck, that's way better. :)

harlan
03-23-2004, 02:18 PM
You're more than welcome to drop $495.00 in my bucket any day of the week! ;)

I support NewTek 100%, always have, probably always will. I'm quite good friends with most of the company, and have a history dating back to day one with them. However, things have been tricky for NewTek these past few years.

While I'm disappointed with the continued delays with LW8 & the feature set to some extent when comparing it to other packages; I'm very impressed with NewTek continually moving forward (even if it's at a snails pace right now).

I really mean no disrespect when I say this, but NewTek really is the underdog here, they bust their asses to make a great product even though they don't really have the assets of the bigger boys. I'm very proud of them for this.

That being said, however, I'm not as "Lightwave Based" as I once was. Not because of anything negative; but because there are other products on the market right now offering features that I need "now" which LW doesn't yet offer. LW is still an essential part of my pipeline, but I use whatever gets the job done "better, faster, cheaper".

If you want the address of my "bucket" to drop that $495.00 into, just let me know. ;)

jr_sunshine
03-23-2004, 02:31 PM
I am behind them 100% as well. The feature set in [8] is excellent and looks to be worth the $495 to upgrade.

But...

Here's a way for NewTek to eliminate even the need for a thread like this about supporting them: Get the book, "Software Project Management: A Unified Framework" or something similar so they can provide a reasonable estimate next time.

Johnnyx
03-23-2004, 02:54 PM
..I start animation on a new project in about a months time.. I REALLY hope LW8 is out by then - some of those new features look sooo useful.. in the mean time, I am up one DFX+ and a cool texture plug-in... so I'm not complaining - behind NT all the way..

Fantastic bang for the buck? sure! but also the tools I would CHOOSE to use!

theo
03-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Harlan, my friend, I would recommend that you remove yourself from the 3D field and apply your talents to the comedy circuit but unfortunately your humor is much too dark to be of any profit. So my other recommendation would be to simply behave yourself while you are on my thread or I shall be forced to pummel you about the head and shoulders with lightning-fast speed and unmatched agility.

Now my dear postering poster kindly apply yourself to whatever you were doing- and in haste.:D

grundgedanke
03-23-2004, 03:19 PM
move on nt! i think lw 8 will be great. and a few weeks more or less are not that important if the product is stable and AWESOME!

meanwhile im playing a bit fprime and uveditpro :D

Beamtracer
03-23-2004, 03:55 PM
Sounds like it's a football team.

KillMe
03-23-2004, 03:57 PM
everyone keeps talking about contined delays

other than there 72 days epsiode which the acknowledge was a mistake and overly ambitious
newtek has not given a release date so they have only missed one release date - everyone jumped on this 22nd march thing but it was never seen anywhere official so you can ahrdly blame them for failing to meet a deadline that we set not them

onto more appropriate topic though and i'm super pleased with lightwave still dont see much if anything that can be done in other apps that cant be done in lightwave - might take a fraction longer for specific tools but i'd still say that overall you'll be faster in lightwave

top that off with the fact i got DFX+ and just for no reason newtek sweetened the deal with UV Edit Pro - hell i'm not convinced i dont owe newtek money rather than them owing me something

that said i'm eagerly awaiting lw 8 if for no other reason that i liek something new to play with though FPrime is taking care of that for now

i think the team is doing a great job and the change in staff i think might have provided what lightwave needed a breath of fresh air

T-Light
03-23-2004, 04:12 PM
I opted for the upgrade in the early stages when the offer was 'DFX+ with modules one and four - offer available till the end of the month'. Back then, some of us Euro's (including yours truly)were worried we wouldn't get the same deal offered before the time was up.

Ha!

When they continued with the offer it didn't concern me in the slightest, I had DFX on the way and LW8 prebooked... and what a piece of kit DFX+ turned out to be.

There's been a lot of brow beating Newtek over the last few months. At the end of the day, I've been in IT so long it's hard to get excited about anything these days. I can't imagine anyone getting worked up over a new version of MS Word or Excell, a new update of XHTML or even a shiny new Photoshop.

Worked up over LW?,
To quote a very American expression...
"YOU BET YOUR A*S".

This trip has been a roller coaster.
I was with the 'Will it, won't it' camp heading to Christmas, I've read the increasingly technical posts from Jin, and the ever saddening posts from Roy (jr_sunshine), possibly because of their Avatars, :) I could could never feel quite that level of dismay at LW8 or it's delay. (Nice one guys :D )

We are all, on one level or another, wrapped up in the future of LW. And what a thing to be wrapped up in!

There's only one thing left to say,

GO NEWTEK :cool: :D

theo
03-23-2004, 04:19 PM
I say we sack Beamtracer:D

jr_sunshine
03-23-2004, 04:31 PM
T-Light,

Very well put. GO NewTek !!!!!

Although it would be easy to label me a nay sayer (which you did not), I am in fact a strong supporter of NewTek. I use no other 3D app but Lightwave and am very happy with it; even 7.5c. When people were being unfair to Chuck or Proton (including me), I have tried to rush to their defense and even apologized for my own statements. I know they are doing their best to release [8] as quickly as possible. I will not however remain silent about issues for which I am passionate. I am willing to take the abuse my passionate statements bring.

Anyway.... thanks for the uplifiting post.

Take care,

T-Light
03-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Cheers Roy,

Can't say's I've ever disagreed with a post you've written, you write the the things I'm thinking. AKA, I can get away with writing only nice things - You make it easy :cool: :D :p

Way to go. :D . Not long now.

Brent.

jr_sunshine
03-23-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by T-Light
Cheers Roy,

Can't say's I've ever disagreed with a post you've written, you write the the things I'm thinking. AKA, I can get away with writing only nice things - You make it easy :cool: :D :p

Way to go. :D . Not long now.

Brent.

:D

riki
03-23-2004, 05:46 PM
I'm certain this is going to be the best release we've seen so far and I'm behind Newtek all the way. They took a bit of extra time to get it right, which is understandable with a new development team.

pblacklock
03-23-2004, 07:23 PM
proton videos seem to show how great l8 is gonna be, i can't wait

:D