PDA

View Full Version : Rigging file size

Luckysevens
03-23-2004, 12:01 PM
I just made a skeleton for a character using skelegons in modeler and my file size jumped from around 300kb to 4mb is that normal? If not does anyone know why this might be? Also layout is haveing sever problems slowing down while trying to mandle the mesh, its about 5300 polys subpatched, and I didnt have a problem before I started the rig. Any help would be appreciated.

SplineGod
03-24-2004, 01:22 AM
Thats way too big. You may have something duplicated many times.

Luckysevens
03-24-2004, 04:29 AM
Thanks for the reply.

duplicated objects was what I thought of first, but I cant find any evidence that thats the case. There is only one layer and there doesnt seem to be extra geometry according to polygon statistics.

SplineGod
03-24-2004, 05:13 AM
Did you create any weight maps or any other vertex maps?
All of those will increase the file size. Also in layout if you use the spreadsheet sometimes multiple instances of it will be created everytime the scenefile is reloaded. This will also make the scene files bigger.

digimassa
03-24-2004, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by SplineGod
.. Also in layout if you use the spreadsheet sometimes multiple instances of it will be created everytime the scenefile is reloaded. This will also make ....

....problems with LWSN, allways remove this spreadsheet from scenefile by editor^^

Luckysevens
03-24-2004, 05:46 PM
A weightmap was created for every bone when I converted them from skelegons, but I havent yet assigned values to them , could this account for such a large file increase? I'm not useing the spreadsheet or screamernet. What I'm actually doing is following a rigging tutorial from timothy albee's character animation book.

SplineGod
03-24-2004, 06:36 PM
I would remove the weight maps and see if the file size changes.
Unless youre going game stuff I either never use weight maps or use them as a last resort. :)

Luckysevens
03-25-2004, 07:01 PM
It was the weight maps thanks for the help. I had no idea they would add that much to the size of the file.
I havent done a lot of rigging and animating before, what do you use rather then weight maps, just bone fall off? Can you get as much controll without weight maps?

SplineGod
03-25-2004, 07:23 PM
You can get control just fine without weight maps. Theres simple things that can be done to reduce the need to use them. I rarely use them and I can easily get great deformation with an extra hold bone here and there. Bones can be orients in many ways that people dont think about that will help.