PDA

View Full Version : ATI hot fix

Luckysevens
03-23-2004, 09:15 AM
I saw the old thread on this but it hasnt been updated in awhile. Just wondering if anyone has noiced any bugs its caused with other programs, or any other problems that might be associated with it. I need to distribute it across a computing lab and I just want to be aware of any problems before I do. Thanks

This is for G4s with Radeon 9000 pros and OSX 10.2.8

Ade
03-23-2004, 09:17 AM
I think the ati bug fix is included in 10.3.3?

graphic ediior crash was also eliminated too in 10.3.3.

mlinde
03-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Luckysevens
I saw the old thread on this but it hasnt been updated in awhile. Just wondering if anyone has noiced any bugs its caused with other programs, or any other problems that might be associated with it. I need to distribute it across a computing lab and I just want to be aware of any problems before I do. Thanks

This is for G4s with Radeon 9000 pros and OSX 10.2.8 Assuming your lab is a Lightwave lab, the ATI hotfix is a solution for crashes in 10.2.x with ATI cards. AFIK, there were no negative issues returned here about it. I would (if at all possible) drop it on one or two machines at first to verify that you don't run into other problems, but if you can't find any negative feedback that is probably a good sign.

wowens
03-23-2004, 10:39 AM
I've been thinking about purchasing the Radeon 9000 pro. Is this the best solution for improving the performance of a Mac G4 Dual 500 with 1 BG RAM? Are there any other issues I should be concerned about?

I'm currently running Mac OS 10.2.6, but will switch to Panther after receiving LightWave 3D 8.

BTW -- I can't afford a new computer at the moment, but will be considering a new Mac G5 in about six to eight months.

Tony3d
03-23-2004, 10:48 AM
just installed OS10.3.3 and now find refresh problems in Modeler. I have an older Radean Mac Edition card and find that when selecting points by running over them with my cursor the last one does not get highlighted in the window I am working in. In the other 3 windows all points get selected. This is a third party card not the one that came with my G4. Any suggestions?

mlinde
03-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Check for other drivers or updates from ATI, and if there aren't any, send them a message with your configuration and steps to regularly duplicate the problem.

Luckysevens
03-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the replys

Its a design arts lab so there is a lot of difrent graphic software on the computers: photoshop, illustrator, quark, flash etc. These are actually used much more then lightwave. I don't run the lab, I'm just a student/lab monitor, the administrator asked me to try to find any known issues that might affect other software, thats the reason for the post.

wowens: I'm not sure what available for macs in video cards but if something of the same level is available you might want to check out nvidia cards. I also use lightwave on a pc athlon 1.33, with an nvidia card (originally a geforce2 pro now a gforce 5900) this might be compareing apples and organge, but while renders are faster useing the macs at the mac lab, working with the opengl preview is much smoother on the PC, I'm assuming this is just because nvidia has a better implementation of opengl then ATI, I'm not positive, just something you might want to check out.

Triple G
03-23-2004, 09:19 PM
I'm running 7.5 on 10.2.6 with a Radeon 8500 installed. Installing the update (I installed months ago...shortly after the fix was released) fixed the problems it was meant to address with Lightwave, and no other noticeable side affects have been noted here, either with other apps (After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, Motionbuilder) or with the OS itself.

As far as the best after-market video card available right now for the Mac, I'd probably have to say the Radeon 9800 Pro. It's the only 128MB card available for the Mac, aside from the GeForce 4 Ti, which costs about $50 more and is an older card.

With regards to OpenGL being faster on the PC than on your G4, that's just the way it is. Much of the bottleneck in the G4 has to do with the system bus as well as processor speeds. As an example, going from a 16MB ATI Rage to a 64MB Radeon 8500 didn't make a very big difference with OpenGL in Lightwave. I noticed a huge difference when I upgraded my processor from a 450MHz to a 1GHz chip.