PDA

View Full Version : New guy on the block.. quicky

PabloSerna
03-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Just bought a used license of LightWave and am hoping to take advantage of the RealViz special.. running on a G5/dual 2.0..

Question #1:
I'm an architect not a 3D guru like you guys, so bear with me.. I export my models out of (2) applications, SketchUp and ArchiCAD, mainly because of the architectural features of those not because of LightWave's shortcoming (are there any?).. AND .. I have this .3DS model I need to render by next week! LOL.. can you guys point me to a source (web site, tutorial) that can walk me through this?

Appreciate any help! Glad to join your community!

+pablo

mlinde
03-23-2004, 09:20 AM
If your existing model is a .3DS object, you can import it into Modeler, clean up any issues caused by the import, then save it as a .LWO before then taking it into Layout (Lightwave) to surface, light and set the scene.

There are tons of Lightwave tutorials around, a good place to start is the newtek tutorials section:
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html

PabloSerna
03-23-2004, 03:25 PM
thanks for the info!

+pablo

Triple G
03-23-2004, 09:24 PM
Not to be picky, but you don't actually "import" the .3ds into Modeler...just go to File->Load Object and set your file types to see all files. That one tends to throw some new users...it threw me back when I was new to the program. :D