PDA

View Full Version : Switching platforms

tapsnap
03-22-2004, 07:32 PM
Ok, I hope I haven't made a dreadful mistake. I have been using a Mac for the past few years for Lightwave. I would have loved to buy a G5 but it was just too expensive so I built a PC for just over $1000. I exchanged my Mac dongle for a Dual dongle. I mistakenly believed that the CD had both Mac and PC versions on it and that by getting the dual dongle I could load up the software and run it on my new machine. I can't it's Mac only!
Is newtek going to let me switch platforms without buying another copy of lightwave?

hrgiger
03-22-2004, 07:36 PM
As the Knight in Indiana Jones The last Crusade said, "You've chosen wisely'.

EDITED: I was saying something about your dongle but I see you already have the dual dongle. I wouild call Newtek, I'm sure they would be willing to get you up and running.

wapangy
03-22-2004, 10:31 PM
The newest versions of the CD's do have both on them. The old ones like mine only had one or the other. Newtek told me I could get the new CD's for about $30.

Actually they told me when I got my duo dongle for $30 that it would include the CD's, but they lied. When I called them back, they wanted another $30.... :(

eggy
03-23-2004, 06:52 AM
can't you just download the windows 7.5 (or 7.5c) update from the newtek ftp and install it ?

:)

T-Light
03-23-2004, 07:07 AM
Well, I could be wrong here,

but wouldn't a LW discovery edition CD (ie the free demo) do just as well. Pick up a magazine with the demo on the cover CD and register that, I think it's pretty much the same, possibly without a lot of the demo material.

As I say, I could be wrong, call Newtek and ask. :)

eggy
03-23-2004, 07:17 AM
here you can find the windows updates.

ftp.newtek.com/pub/Patches/LightWave_Windows

tapsnap
03-23-2004, 07:20 AM
Thanks, I will as soon as they come in for work today. I wonder if the Lightwave 8 will be a full download or will add onto 7. If it's a full download then maybe I'll wait until it comes out. Jeez, I guess I better call Newtek.

anieves
03-23-2004, 08:11 AM
I did that last year and got the software from the ftp listed above. After installation it will give you a new id number wich you'll need to get a new permanent license key number.

It is very of NewTek to do this and as far as I know they are the only one that allow a platform swap at no extra cost (as long as you have the duo dongle).

tapsnap
03-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Thanks, but I looked at the "ftp.newtek.com/pub/Patches/LightWave_Windows" link and it had no 7.0 download, just 7b, 7.5, 7.5b and 7.5c. All these are upgrades to the original 7.0 install. You must first install 7.0 and then upgrade through to 7.5b or c. There is no full 7.0 download on this page.

T-Light
03-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Tapsnap, have you tried the demo, or called Newtek to see if this is an option?

Chazz
03-23-2004, 09:28 AM
I did the same thing as you...just install the 7.5 update and you'll get a full install.

Give Newtek your PC hardware lock number and and you'll be all set.

Lightwave 7.5 Update (http://images.newtek.com/lightwave/downloads/LightWave_Windows/lw75/LightWave_7.5_Update-Win.exe)

claymation
03-23-2004, 11:53 AM
if you get a dongle not found error you can download the drivers from www.rainbow.com
i think it is the sentinel drivers

wapangy
03-23-2004, 12:11 PM
I've got the discovery mode to work in windows before, and I can install the dongle drivers, but I could never figure out how to get my license key installed in windows, I know were it goes on the Mac, but not in windows.

Chazz
03-23-2004, 12:42 PM
It goes right in the Programs folder, same as the Mac. Double check the name though...Windows by default hides the extension on files, so your license key might actually be named 'license.key.txt.'