PDA

View Full Version : Question 4 Dan Ablan or smbdy who knows unwrap.p

AngelDream
03-22-2004, 07:05 PM
Dan, I've got your book Inside Lightwave 7, and I was trying to use the unwrap.p plugin, and it turns out that it produces a 1-bit IFF file, which I cannot read with Photoshop 7. I'm asking this 'cause in the book you're reading it with photoshop and I can't imagine why I can't open it. Lightwave reads it but Photoshop doesn't. Please help me, and thanks in advance.

Elio.

Vincent Brumbac
03-22-2004, 09:23 PM
Make sure the file has the .iff at the end.

Cheers,

Vincent D. Brumback

korn_kid
03-23-2004, 01:54 AM
You need to install the Amiga IFF plugin in order to read/write ".iff" files.

To install the plug-in, insert the Photoshop 7 CD and navigate to "\Goodies\Optional Plug-Ins\File Format", drag/copy the Amiga IFF.8BI file into the Plug-Ins folder inside your Adobe Photoshop 7.0 folder. When you restart Photoshop, .iff will appear in the list of available file formats in the open and save dialogs.

pixelinfected
03-23-2004, 08:26 AM
or you open image editor of lw, load it, double click on image, and you can save with different format, all lw format.
don't forget the power of image editor like image converter

AngelDream
03-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks everyone who answered. Thanks korn_kid, I'm right looking for my plugin.

SplineGod
03-24-2004, 01:24 AM
You can also just create a UV map and then use the eps export to get a template out.

AngelDream
03-24-2004, 05:55 PM
Thanks splinegod, that's what I've been doing. I'm trying to surfacing this plane
http://hal.famaf.unc.edu.ar/~re3/bonito.jpg
which I modeled for a friend, who is aircraft engineer and was building this thing. This is a raw model, since it doesn't have the flaps and so. Also it's missing some depth in the cockpit and the side windows. I thought that I could simulate that depth in the windows using a bump map but it isn't. So I'm remodeling the base model, and cleaning some polygons, I'm using a lot the edge tool from DStorm, but maybe I should build a new hull for the plane.

Signal to Noise
05-10-2004, 11:46 PM
Whew! I'm glad I came across this post!

I was absolutely stumped about the IFF file format. I too am going through Dan's tutorials in Inside [7] and came across my first major hurdle. I don't have Photoshop and none of my image editing apps supports IFF it seems. Pixelinfected's tip saved the day. Here I was scouring the 'net in the hopes of finding a free PI or utility converter and all along I could do it in LW!!

Thanks!:)