PDA

View Full Version : 3D max to LW converter

tawolf
03-17-2003, 05:56 AM
Hi;

Can anyone tell me how to convert 3d Max object to LW.

Ted Wolf

jb_gfx
03-17-2003, 11:15 AM
From Max you save your objects as .3ds and you can just load them in LightWave.

DarkMoon
03-18-2003, 07:36 AM
What about teh textures and stuff?

Skonk
03-18-2003, 07:43 AM
Sadly its not as easy as one would think, .max files dont store all of the objects point data, it stores the settings of the modifiers applied to the object and when u load the object max re-applies all the deformations from the modifiers. So for another program to open a .max file properly it would have to be capable of performing ALL the modifiers that max can, which aint gonna happen now is it :)

Im not 100% sure but i think .3ds files can store surface info to some extent, UV maps etc.. but to be honest iv not really tried it. There are some third party apps that will convert .max files to .lwo's(deep exploration?) but it requires max to be install on the system too.

James..

DarkMoon
03-18-2003, 07:50 AM
Heh, Spank, aren't you busy this morning.....

Anyway...since i couldn't get anyone from here to spot me an Angel model I have a friend doing it for me in Max, he's on teh otehr side of teh country...

I guess the best way would be fot him to render it in MAX and then I comp it over here in LW. Now I have never done this...

I know that Max renderings have somewhat a different look and feel, is there anything to look out for? Can I have LW's lighting "interact" with the stuff that was rendered in MAX (theer is gonna be sparks and flames and stuff going on).

Skonk
03-18-2003, 07:58 AM
"Heh, Spank, aren't you busy this morning..... "

Hehe yeh, i should of been at college this morning but i couldn't seem to pull myself out of bed.

If u export the model in a standard pose (arms out to the sides, legs slightly appart) the .3ds file will save the seperate surfaces applied in max and i think it stores UV information too, i dont see any problem with modeling it in max and surfacing/posing/rendering it in lightwave. Just dont go anywhere neer surfacing till u get it into lightwave.
U can then apply bones and what not to it in lightwave (i strongly recommend ACS4 for the whole rigging thing) and your ready to pose it.

If u do go down the compositng route then i would think u could add colour shifts and stuff to it in post to make it look like light from explotions/flames is hitting it. Max renders tend to look a bit too perfect imo so make sure u surface in some inperfections :)

James..