PDA

View Full Version : Dual Lcd - Ati Fire Gl X1

mixmasterwes
03-22-2004, 01:59 PM
Help! Please!

My question is how would you configure in VT3 a dual monitor setup. Causes, I can’t seem get it to work with my system. When I select the Dual background skin it only stays in the one monitor and splits it in two. Should it not display it on both monitors? I have a ATI Fire GL X1 128Mb Dual DVI output connected to (2) 19” AG Neovo LCD Display’s. I am running the latest drivers from ATI and have performed a clean install of XP Pro. Also Installed VT[3] Build 4909 as well.

If you can please lead me to any thread or links I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Wes :)

Paul Lara
03-23-2004, 06:39 AM
Wes,
Invest in a recommended nVidia card, and it will make your life much easier. ATI's dual-screen management is weird, as if no user would ever want to stretch an app across both screens. To see my point, maximize an application. It fills ONE screen.

mixmasterwes
03-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Thanks Paul,

I should have done some better research on the card. I bought it cause It has Dual DVI and the ability to set it's own Resolution for each monitor and it's Open GL. Maybe ATI will come up with a new Driver that will solve my problem in the near future??

Paul, could you or anybody please provide a screen shot of your Dual setup, If possible? I am dying to see what everybody talking about.

Thanks Again,

Wes.

Paul Lara
03-23-2004, 09:24 AM
OK.

mixmasterwes
03-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Thanks Paul,

I should have done some better research on the card. I bought it cause It has Dual DVI and the ability to set it's own Resolution for each monitor and it's Open GL. Maybe ATI will come up with a new Driver that will solve my problem in the near future??

Paul, could you or anybody please provide a screen shot of your Dual setup, If possible? I am dying to see what everybody talking about.

Thanks Again,

Wes.

Paul Lara
03-23-2004, 09:28 AM
VT[3] Dual-screen layout:

mixmasterwes
03-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Ooops! I hit the refresh, You can delete this reply

mixmasterwes
03-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Paul Lara
VT[3] Dual-screen layout:

Paul,

Very well laid out and efficient too! I will just have to sell my card and get a new nVidia. Any one you recommend that has Dual DVI?

Thank you for your time and advice,

Wes Salazar.

Paul Lara
03-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by mixmasterwes
Very well laid out and efficient too! I will just have to sell my card and get a new nVidia. Any one you recommend that has Dual DVI?

Wes,
Really, any recent nVidia grahphics card performs splendidly.
the Quadro line is at the top, but you can find GeForce 4 cards at great prices these days.

Really anything with 64+ MB of onboard RAM is nice. Anything above that will yield incremental performance boosts, at best.

bradl
03-23-2004, 07:34 PM
Don't mean to add fuel to the fire, but of all the manufacturers in the entire world, the only one I hate and will never personally buy another product from is ATI. I have had 3 or 4 products of theirs through the years and it was a nightmare every time trying to get things working. Horrible drivers, OS crashes, registry nightmares, broken features, bad downloads, broken promises, incompetent techs, and horrible website (at the time). I mean I literally spent weeks of my life dealing with their crap and NEVER will buy anything from them again EVER!!!!!

Did I come across too strong...:confused:

did I mention NEVER!!!!!

EVER!!!!!! never.....

bradl
03-23-2004, 07:36 PM

NEVER!!!!

;)

mixmasterwes
03-23-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by bradl

NEVER!!!!

;)

Hi Brad,

Never is a very long time! But I understand where you are coming from. I am starting to feel the ATI Blue's!

I take it you are using a nvidia video card?

bradl
03-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by mixmasterwes
...I take it you are using a nvidia video card? Yea, at work with VT3, a GeForce4 4600 TI running two 21" CRT's. I am sure ATI is capable of making good products, especially in the last few years, but man they had some serious problems 4 or 5 years ago. Think they are the top card for gaming currently, or they were, changes monthly almost...

The funny thing is we are about to buy 3 FCP G5 systems and I'm pretty sure they all have ATI boards in them... remember I said I would never personally buy ATI.... :D

I am pretty sure some have ATI boards running on dual monitor VT3's OK, but I could be wrong. NVidia is the defacto standard for VT and they are fairly resonable, you should be able to get a much better one than I have for around $100. If you plan on running dual LCD's, dual DVI is the way to go but some have reported mixed outputs on dual LCD's and no discernable difference, so it may not be such a big deal... not sure.

Not all Nvidia drivers are trouble free and some have to roll back a version or two occasionally and the nVidia Desktop Manager is generally known for slowing VT3 refreshes down to a crawl on some systems. I don't see a difference on mine, but still run with it disabled most of the time. With Nvidia, the trick is to let the Nvidia Driver span your desktop across the two monitors and not let XP do it in Advanced Properites (the default). It is explained in detail in these forums if you need help.

Paul Lara
03-24-2004, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by bradl
If you plan on running dual LCD's, dual DVI is the way to go but some have reported mixed outputs on dual LCD's and no discernable difference, so it may not be such a big deal... not sure.

I'd agree.
I've run systems with both dual DVi and mixed DVI/VGA, and it doesn't really make much difference in graphics performance.

JesusLovesU
03-24-2004, 06:55 AM
I have been addicted to use nVidia graphic cards long ago. By the way, ATI has shown great improvement over nVidia recently.

ATI FireGL X1 is an awesome card that won't steal much of your CPU load as nVidia Quodro FX did. ATI graphic cards also shown more RAW processing power than nVidia. Unfortunately, you would better stick with nVidia's Quodro FX cards if you are serious about openGL 3D acceleration (Quodro FX 1100 and above).

Users who purchase ATI graphic cards should always install the latest display driver as well as ATI HydraVision to fully utilize dual-monitor display.

VeTTe
03-25-2004, 04:05 PM
all you have to do to make the ati card do what you want is enable monitor spanning.
nvidia has the same setting. if you disable monitor spanning that's what causes a maximized prog to only go max on one screen.
most peep end up enabling this during the wizard setup util when the driver is first installed cause it was 2 li'l pictures....2 monitors side by side...one with window on one screen and the other with a window cut right down the middle between the 2 monitors. peeps natural reaction is "i don't want to have my text cut in half like that so the choose the "send to one screen" option then forget that the option is there.
long story short, ati is no better or worse the nvidia for dual monitor outputs. it's all about what your used to. so Mixmasterwes just look through your settings (right click desktop > properties > settings > advanced) and find the option to enable windows spanning across monitors. BOOM your ready to go.

mixmasterwes
03-25-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by VeTTe
BOOM your ready to go.

Thanks Gary, I will give it a try.

Regards,

Wes.