PDA

View Full Version : Check your email!

kcole
03-22-2004, 12:27 PM
[...message text removed...]

tokyo drifter
03-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Snipped message, something about something coming out soon or something I wonder how soon they mean? Is it UPS 'soon' as in 3-4 days. Or is it TV Infomercial 'soon' as in 2-3 weeks. Or is it Mail-in Rebate 'soon' as in 6-8 weeks. Or maybe it's a summer blockbuster movie teaser 'soon' as in Summer 2005. ;)

kcole
03-22-2004, 12:46 PM
I got the feeling from the message there'd be more to follow within a week. Message content was removed due to a request in the email to refrain from posting the contents.

grundgedanke
03-22-2004, 12:48 PM
great...and as a european user weŽll get this mail maybe in a dew weeks...:mad:

prospector
03-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Depends on who's making the statement.
A fly lives a few days so soon would be minuts
A turtle lives for 150 years so soon would mean months to years.
A planet lives for billions of years so soon would mean eons.

I'm leaning towards the turtle and still a month or so.

Paul_Boland
03-22-2004, 01:06 PM
I didn't get this email either. Post it up, I want to read it!!

GeorgeDittmar
03-22-2004, 01:14 PM
yeah i havent gotten the email either

hrgiger
03-22-2004, 01:21 PM
Me neither.

Yog
03-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Heck, I ordered LW8 direct from Newtek last summer and I still haven't recieved my UV-Edit Pro e-mail yet.
So why should I expect an e-mail telling me LW8 is soon to be released ?

T-Light
03-22-2004, 01:32 PM
No,

I haven't recieved the email yet either, but, I did get to see it in another post before it was snipped. I don't think I'll lose my head by saying...

1) The offers were to continue for a few more days until the release.

That isn't word for word but "Days" was in there. So are we talking less than a week, :D or are we talking 27 days and a release at N*B. :eek: :rolleyes: :(

Beamtracer
03-22-2004, 01:34 PM
See, we knew LW8 would be out very soon.

tjacobs
03-22-2004, 01:34 PM
Yog, call them (Newtek) directly and make sure they have your correct e-mail address. I also ordered the upgrade directly from Newtek and had not received the UV Edit e-mail. When calling them about this it was discovered that my e-mail address was incorrectly entered into their system.

Wade
03-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Opportunity slips back into the crater while trying to climb its rim, yet NASA believes they will have it on the move in a few days. I think they are waiting for the release of LW8. Blue Berries everywhere!

That’s what I get from the e-mail.

Wade

Cman
03-22-2004, 01:45 PM
I got it, but it's meaningless if it's not an official Newtek press release.

mattclary
03-22-2004, 01:47 PM
I just got it, it's directly from Newtek. Here is the first part:

NewTek Will Ship LightWave 3D [8] Soon, New Price Structure To Be Announced

DFX+ and RealViz Special Offers and UV Edit Pro Free Bonus End When
DFX+ LightWave [8] Releases

Hi, Folks!

The good news is that we are indeed very close to having LightWave [8] ready, and we anticipate this to be one of the best releases we've ever made of our award-winning 3D tool. Our shipping staff will soon be contacting those who have purchased to confirm shipping addresses. While the release is very close, it looks like we can allow a few extra days on the specials, which had been scheduled to end on March 21st.

jr_sunshine
03-22-2004, 01:52 PM
Got mine just a few minutes ago. It does say "days" in the context of a "few". Not sure what that means as it is still vague like the other anouncements.

Oh...

I sure hope when LW [8] is released that the NewTek developers made sure it was "ready when it was indeed ready." I wouldn't want the software engineers among us to be upset.

Touche'

Cman
03-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Exactly. It's vague, hence meaningless.

cyphyr
03-22-2004, 02:28 PM
Yeah I got my email too and I have the distinct impression that I'm now going to have to pay $49 or $59 for my "FREE" upgrade to LW8.

I might go for the $59 option if I get a box thrown in as well !!

cyphyr

hrgiger
03-22-2004, 03:08 PM
I retract my last post. I just got the email.

Well, it certainly sounds like it will ship within the coming days. Perhaps in the next week or two. My question is, how long will I have to wait after they contact me to confirm my delivery address.

If I hear the words "please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery", I may have to hurl my monitor through the closest window.

artstorm
03-22-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
If I hear the words "please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery", I may have to hurl my monitor through the closest window.

LOL. couldn't help lauging when I read your comment giger. :)

Hope us Europeans get the email announcement soon as well.

mkiii
03-22-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by cyphyr
Yeah I got my email too and I have the distinct impression that I'm now going to have to pay $49 or $59 for my "FREE" upgrade to LW8.

cyphyr

Care to elaborate on that?

Beamtracer
03-22-2004, 03:33 PM
I just got the email.

Well, it certainly sounds like it will ship within the coming days.I'll be glad if LW8 ships in the next few days. Then all this excitement will abate. What will everyone do then? Hang around here waiting for LW9?

mattclary
03-22-2004, 03:35 PM

cyphyr

This doesn't really make sense to me. If you want the manuals, you will have to pay an extra $99. The sums of $49 and $59 don't correspond to anything I have seen or heard, including the recent e-mail.

If you wait and get an upgrade from 7.5 to 8 (i.e., you don't already qualify for the free upgrade to 8), the upgrade price is $495 without hard copy of manual, $595 WITH hard copy. As per the recent e-mail.

cyphyr
03-22-2004, 04:17 PM
The only mention in the email I got from Newtek (the one that asks us not to post it on any public forum) of upgrades to LW8 dont mention anything about thoes of us who bought the LW7.5 deal with DFX 1+4 with a FREE upgrade to LW8 when it ships all for (I cant remember exactly) $495 ish.

The new offers for an upgrade is $49 or $59 depending on weather you get a cd manuel or a printed one (I'm paraphrasing)

Its more that I'd like to hear some confirmation about the process of our free upgade, how it works etc. All we have had so far is rumour ontop of more roumour with no confirmatrion or denial from NT.

And I still dont know what the difference between an electronic and a regular upgrade is...

cyphyr

ddho1981
03-22-2004, 04:27 PM
. . . I may have to hurl my monitor through the closest window.

for a second, i thought that read "through the closet window" . . . and i was thinking, "why on earth would anyone have a window in their closet???"

jeremyhardin
03-22-2004, 04:37 PM
wait. I called NT (and plan to call again) about this. I asked that since I already bought 7, AND paid the 495 upgrade to 8, that I would get the box and manual.

I was told I would get the box and manual. it was the free upgraders that just bought 7.5 that had to pay extra for it.

So the email says otherwise?

omeone
03-22-2004, 04:52 PM
-

TSpyrison
03-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by ddho1981
for a second, i thought that read "through the closet window" . . . and i was thinking, "why on earth would anyone have a window in their closet???"

I've got an AC vent in my hallway closet.. (on purpose though)

:)

mattclary
03-22-2004, 05:00 PM
The new offers for an upgrade is $49 or $59

Go re-read it. That's 495US NOT 49$US same thing with 595US not 59$US

private
03-22-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by mattclary
NewTek Will Ship LightWave 3D [8] Soon, New Price Structure To Be Announced

New price structure? Are they going to start charging for point upgrades? What's the deal?

CAClark
03-22-2004, 05:08 PM
Life would be much clearer if someone from NT could just clarify all this nonsense. I think NT must kill themselves watching everyone fall over each other in a million and one LW8 thread! :D

Cheers!

winged-cat
03-22-2004, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by private
New price structure? Are they going to start charging for point upgrades? What's the deal?

Why do I see all these posts about 'starting' to charge for the point upgrades. Are people under the impression these have always been free? I remember being at LW5.0, and not getting 5.5/6 because i could not afford the upgrade at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I really did appriciate the x.5 upgrades not costing extra for owners of 6.0 and 7.0 - but it hasn't always been that way.

...Pete

cyphyr
03-22-2004, 05:17 PM
DOH !! my bad sorry newtek, I been up too long ...
night all

mkiii
03-22-2004, 05:32 PM
On the cider more like - it's only just gone midnight - call yerself a 3d artist :rolleyes:

hrgiger
03-22-2004, 05:35 PM
I don't think they're going to start charging for point upgrades. Both Chuck and Proton have mentioned more then a few times in the last several months the advantages of having free point upgrades.
If they did start charging for point upgrades, they better be a lot more substantial. Like, I'm not going to pay $100 for a few bug fixes and a spline guide tool. But I would pay $100 for a 3D painting app or fluid simulator.

Beamtracer
03-22-2004, 05:39 PM
Both Chuck and Proton have mentioned more then a few times in the last several months the advantages of having free point upgrades. What are the advantages of free point upgrades, from Newtek's point of view?

mattclary
03-22-2004, 06:46 PM
Marketing. Bang-for-buckedness which is a major selling point.

hrgiger
03-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Definately. Lightwave has always been about giving the best value in 3D apps.