PDA

View Full Version : Intel Changes Chip Names

dmg3d
03-22-2004, 08:34 AM
"Intel is shifting the focus of its processor names away from megahertz. After years of driving CPU sales by promoting faster clock speeds as a measure of better performance, the chip giant on Friday announced a new processor naming scheme."

Read more:
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,115297,00.asp

:rolleyes:

dmg3d
03-22-2004, 10:00 AM
How about this quote?:
"It is becoming a more complex set of choices," he said. The new processor numbers (300 series, 500 series, and the 700 series) should make it simpler for the average consumer to differentiate between similar products. "Ultimately you know that a higher number is better than a lower number."

Ahh,... so that means a 970 would be better than a 7xx?

:p

Beamtracer
03-22-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by dmg3d
"Intel is shifting the focus of its processor names away from megahertz."
Ironic, isn't it? Megahertz no longer matter, according to Intel.

In recent years, Intel has lost its way. The failed 64-bit Itanium processor will turn out to be one of the costliest corporate mistakes in modern times. The losses for that one will be felt by both Intel and its partner Hewlett Packard.

In recognition of the Itanic disaster, Intel will now be forced to license it's processors from rival AMD.

Intel's processor lead was only brief. People forget that the first and second generation PowerPC processors beat Intel processors in both megahertz and actual processing power.

Megahertz really don't matter. Now it's official!

Johnny
03-23-2004, 11:53 PM
I hope they saved their receipt for the market research done on that one; even the article tells of inevitable confusion.

Already too many numbers flying around what with the model number of the box, of the chip, and then with this 500, 600, 700 stuff. What do you want to bet that some shoppers will think that the X00 refers to speed? Intel might think they're done with mhz, but mhz ain't done with them, thanks to the legions of consumers they've trained on it!

hardcore users will dismiss it as another silly marketing thing..casual users will have more designations to sift through.

guess those guys skipped class during the "less is more" lecture.

J

toby
03-24-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Johnny
mhz ain't done with them, thanks to the legions of consumers they've trained on it

Bullseye!

Maybe it's because of the 3.x ghz barrier they can't seem to bust - how long has it been since the first one? Over a year I'm sure. And with that, they can't offer a 'new' processor at... 3.x ghz - but now they can change a few resistors, give it a different # and pitch that.

riki
03-24-2004, 07:25 PM
I guess it had to end sooner or later, but the new system reminds me of something from Spinal Tap.