PDA

View Full Version : Setting up ScreamerNet nodes

SamuraiSlayer
03-21-2004, 05:55 PM
I have one computer (main) connected to a router, with the other (second) computer hooked also to the router. the main one is running XP and the other is running Windows2000. I have NO idea how to set them up for network rendering...

HELP!!!

GruvSyco
03-21-2004, 09:02 PM
For me, the easiest way is this...

1. add the following folder to you LW directory: command

2. share your LW directory. this is usually c:\lightwave

3. map that to a drive... I chose Z:

4. map drive Z: on the slave computer as well.

5. test connectivity between the 2 machines, make sure that both machines can see drive Z: (or whatever you used) and all it's subfolders.

6. copy your config files (lw3.cfg, lwext.cfg and lwhub.cfg) from your user directory to c:\lightwave

7. edit the data in those copied cfg files so that it all points to drive Z: or whatever you mapped. (ie: all c:\lightwave\ becomes z:\)

8. Make a copy of your Layout shortcut and name it something useful like Layout Screamernet

9. Change the program target to: C:\LightWave\Programs\LightWav.exe -cz:\ (where z:\ is the drive letter you mapped to)

10. In the program folder is a bat file named "startlwsn_node.bat" make a copy of that for each node you have and name it something like "startlwsn_node_01.bat" or something liek that.

11. now edit each bat file so that the drive letters point to the drive you mapped and the job and ack number coincide with the node number.. ie. node to will have job2 and ack2.

12. for convenience you can open the share and right click the icon and "send to desktop"... each node goes to the machine you wnat to be that node.

13. you should now be able to Launch each node, then Launch your "layout - screamernet". Open a scene and set all you file save settings (it is best to make sure they are pointing to somewhere shared like the content directory) then go to network rendering and add the scene. it shoud automatically detect all nodes (or you can do this manually) and start serving frames to each node.

14. there is also a shortcut to "stoplwsn_node.bat" that can be put on each desktop to stop each node but I use the "Screamer Shutdown" button from Layout.

other notes:

you should also be able to make the same change to the modeler icon that was made above (ie: C:\LightWave\Programs\Modeler.exe -cz:\) and just use these new icons for working. Since the share is physically on the same computer, you shouldn't notice any loss in performance and then you don't have to worry about multiple configs. :)

Hope that helps.

GruvSyco
03-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Oh yeah... Matt wrote a bang up tut on screamernet that is available in pdf (http://www.newtek-europe.com/Stuff/LightWave/Misc/MattGorner_ScreamerNet_Tutorial.pdf). For the life of me, I couldn't get his tut to work for me (prolly all my fault (damned A.D.D.)) but, it did help me get to where I need to be.