PDA

View Full Version : No Sky Tracer 1.1 in Mac OS X's LW3D??

robar3d
03-21-2004, 05:48 PM
Hello

I've recently upgraded to Lightwave 7.5 (not sure what if it's version 7.5c or not) under Mac OS X.

During the course of exploring and experimenting with Layout, I noticed that I have Sky Tracer 2 with no preview or whatever that I can make the change to it, except with Sky Baker. Huh?

I looked up Dan Ablan's big book on Lightwave 7, the book even show Sky Tracer 1.1 and Sky Tracer 2 images. I looked up my Lightwave3D CD-ROM as there is a LW3D version for Mac OS 9 included and founded there is Sky Tracer 1.1!! :shock: :eek:

In Sky Tracer 1.1, you have the whole thing you can adjust or tweak around with the preview of the sky. In Sky Tracer 2, it's just a box of functions you can check/uncheck and modify numerically with no preview to look at. :mad:

I tried to render a current frame/scene just to see how it is look with Sky Tracer and an object in position, all I got was a blank space with an object in view and no Sky Tracer-rendered image.

:confused: Am I doing something wrong or missing out?

Thanks,
Rob

donski
03-21-2004, 06:16 PM
Enable Viper and you should be able to see your changes as you make them.

I haven't used Sky Tracer much so I'm no expert.

Try the presets once you've got Viper working and you can see some good starting points to mess around with.

Hope this helps

Lynx3d
03-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Yea VIPER is now responsible for that...can't really miss that button in LW7 :D

Oh and on that occasion try out Eki's SkyGen that comes with 7.5(c?), it's actually only a script setting up procedural texture layers as environment but that makes it a lot faster than volumetric clouds in SkyTracer2 and doesn't look that bad at all!

robar3d
03-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I notice the VIPER. I get the idea. :D

But shouldn't VIPER be integrated with Sky Tracer instead as a separate function? :confused:

donski
03-21-2004, 07:27 PM
I thought I read that LW 7.5C was terribly buggy and more things broke than healed.

Can't remember if that was Mac or PC users complaining but it effectively kept me from downloading 7.5c

Lynx3D,

you're saying it works on your mac ok?

robar:

I think the idea is you're only firing up Viper when you need it instead of having it on all the time. If your scene is set, SKT-wise, and you're still animating your characters you don't need Viper on.

But whenever "they" are able to make everything fully real-time renderered and dynamically editable, I'm all for it.

mlinde
03-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by robar3d
I looked up Dan Ablan's big book on Lightwave 7, the book even show Sky Tracer 1.1 and Sky Tracer 2 images. I looked up my Lightwave3D CD-ROM as there is a LW3D version for Mac OS 9 included and founded there is Sky Tracer 1.1!! :shock: :eek:

In Sky Tracer 1.1, you have the whole thing you can adjust or tweak around with the preview of the sky. In Sky Tracer 2, it's just a box of functions you can check/uncheck and modify numerically with no preview to look at. :mad: Skytracer 1.1 still exists with 7.5 on OS X, I have it and use it. There are some bugs with it though, especially with file pathing.

robar3d
03-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by mlinde
Skytracer 1.1 still exists with 7.5 on OS X, I have it and use it. There are some bugs with it though, especially with file pathing.

That's weird! I look into the Plug-Ins folder in my Mac directory and there is NO Sky Tracer 1.1 after installing ver. 7.5 almost two weeks ago. Even there is no Sky Tracer 1.1 within the Mac OS X folder of the Lightwave3D CD-ROM (but there is one for Mac OS 9 only). :confused:

mlinde
03-21-2004, 09:00 PM
That's weird! I look into the Plug-Ins folder in my Mac directory and there is NO Sky Tracer 1.1 after installing ver. 7.5 almost two weeks ago. Even there is no Sky Tracer 1.1 within the Mac OS X folder of the Lightwave3D CD-ROM (but there is one for Mac OS 9 only). :confused: Did you check the legacy plugins? There are 2 skytracers, one in Effect, one in Legacy. They both show up in the backdrop plugins choices.

robar3d
03-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Did you check the legacy plugins? There are 2 skytracers, one in Effect, one in Legacy. They both show up in the backdrop plugins choices.

No, I do not have a Legacy folder either in my computer or the Lightwave 3D CD-ROM.

mlinde
03-22-2004, 07:36 AM
No, I do not have a Legacy folder either in my computer or the Lightwave 3D CD-ROM. Go to http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/osx/index.html
and download the legacy plugins. This will give you back the old skytracer, as well as a number of other older plugins.

robar3d
03-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Go to http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/osx/index.html
and download the legacy plugins. This will give you back the old skytracer, as well as a number of other older plugins.

Thank you! :D