PDA

View Full Version : lightwave

guent
03-20-2004, 03:43 AM
!!!???

what do you think......of this article .............

[url]http://www.zaon.com/company/articles/3d_rendering.php (http://www.zaon.com/company/articles/3d_rendering.php)

.................Lightwave's native built-in renderer is the only native renderer actually suitable for production film work, but its core architecture is definitely now showing its age. Lightwave rendering is slow compared to all of the other options available, and while it can produce wonderful results it has more shortcomings than the other highend rendering options........................................

Titus
03-20-2004, 08:21 AM
Well, they are comparing 3 renderers and 1 animation program.

PRMan 11, mental ray 3.2 and Brazil R/S can be better than LW rendering because they only know one specific task, rendering. It would be fairier to compare LW's renderer with Maya, XSI or 3ds max6 internal renderer engines.

I've been using PRMan and LW for some years now and I understand very well the inner works of rendering.

They are also pointing the best characterisitc of every renderer reviewed:

PRMan: displacement maps that result in extremely fine surface detail with only a very minor hit to rendering speed

mental ray: the most physically accurate ray-tracing and photon lighting

Brazil R/S: this GI can actually be used for production work

LightWave: unlimited network farming licenses

Titus
03-20-2004, 08:22 AM
I prefer PRMan over LW's renderer, that's why I wrote an exporter plug-in.

wacom
03-20-2004, 09:30 AM
If you look at it one way it's a positive. This will be really true if the SDK is opened up more to 3rd party renders.

Alec Trevelyan
03-20-2004, 11:20 AM
funny though, I heard that Justin modeled a whole project in LW siply because he got fed up with MAX messing it up on him:)

UnCommonGrafx
03-20-2004, 12:12 PM
For me, I see these kinds of articles as harbingers of things to come.

Perhaps they are explaining what the weaknesses were with the OLD lw as they have seen the NEW lw.

Mad, irresponsible speculation. ;)