PDA

View Full Version : VT3 encoder -vs- Canopus ProCoder

JATAJ
03-20-2004, 01:26 AM
Hi,

Is the VT3 encoder functions equal to that of the Canopus ProCoder solution? We currently own a Canopus DV-Rex Professional editing suite, but are in consideration for a new live/editing solution.

In addition we have various different types of media we desire to archive to dvds such as mini-DV, 3 1/4 inch and beta SP tapes.

My ultimate goal is to record to a FireStore FS-1 DTE unit via our JVC GYU500 mini DV camera. This method will have our video clips in ready to use format for immediate editing. After editing, we would like to record the edited footage to a Beta UVW1800 recorder for public broadcasting. a dvd for mastering/duplicating. Also have the video format for web streaming.

I have been out to many forums regarding encorers only to be left cross eyed. (smile) I hear that the Canopus Procoder is a good product, but I really want to get away from Canopus due to some of their software and hardware limitation.

As a tv Christian ministry, productively / quality is a major issue.

Thanks,

JataJ
www.christiancompassioncenter.org

Paul Lara
03-20-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by JATAJ
As a tv Christian ministry, productivity / quality is a major issue.

As it should be, Jataj.
As for 'encoding', there is no need within VT[3] to 'encode' your miniDV clips. drop them onto the timeline and play.

One of the strengths of VT[3] is its uncompressed, component, 4:2:2 ITU-601 handling of all frames. You can edit your projects on the firestore, and then use the pristine quality of the VT[3] component ouput to record to your Beta deck!

When adding live production to the mix, there is nothing else on the market that can hold a candle to VT[3].

JATAJ
05-22-2004, 01:02 AM
Thanks Paul,

Question about DVD mastering. Are you able to master directly from the VT3 timeline to a DVD drive (-/+ R/W & R) or do you have to export/convert to a mpeg file first? If a mpeg file must first be created, is the length of time the same as the storyboard. For example if my video/storyboard is a hour long then will it take a hour to convert to a mpeg file for dvd mastering.

Is there a such thing as accelerated file conversion within VT3?

Our Canopus DVRex Pro system has a limited number of exportable formats and the mpeg conversion is the length of the timeline.

That's why I was asking questions in relation to Canopus Procoder which give you conversion options for mpeg, real audio, quicktime and wma. This is great for creating web streamling files, but the investment is a extra $500.00.

What applications you recommend for:

1. DVD mastering
2. DVD achiving (at minimun 2 hours of video footage)
3. Various web streaming formats (ie. Realaudio, quicktime & Wma)

Thanks

JATAJ
05-22-2004, 01:11 AM
Thanks Paul,

Question about DVD mastering. Are you able to master directly from the VT3 timeline to a DVD drive (-/+ R/W & R) or do you have to export/convert to a mpeg file first? If a mpeg file must first be created, is the length of time the same as the storyboard. For example if my video/storyboard is a hour long then will it take a hour to convert to a mpeg file for dvd mastering.

Is there a such thing as accelerated file conversion within VT3?

Our Canopus DVRex Pro system has a limited number of exportable formats and the mpeg conversion is the length of the timeline.

That's why I was asking questions in relation to Canopus Procoder which give you conversion options for mpeg, real audio, quicktime and wma. This is great for creating web streamling files, but the investment is a extra $500.00.

What applications you recommend for:

1. DVD mastering
2. DVD achiving (at minimun 2 hours of video footage)
3. Various web streaming formats (ie. Realaudio, quicktime & Wma)

Thanks

ScorpioProd
05-22-2004, 01:40 AM
The VT3 does not render to MPEG. You need to encode your VT-Edit project to MPEG-2 for DVD authoring use in another application.

You could use an authoring application and do the MPEG encoding in that, or use a separate MPEG encoding application as many of us do.

I recommend TMPGEnc for the MPEG encoding, it is one of the best quality MPEG encoders out there (personally, I would say THE best.)

Convieniently, the VT[3] has the AVI wrapper to let you simply drop VT-Edit projects into authoring applications or anywhere else for that matter without needing to render them out first. And if you are using TMPGEnc, there is an even better plug-in that Newtek created specifically for it.

As for how long does MPEG encoding take, no, it definately takes longer than the length of the project. Depending on your computer and what encoder you use and what settings you use, there is a hugh range of variation in the times you can expect.

For me on my dual-Xeon 2.8 system, if I'm encoding maximum quality for a two hour project, I can expect about 3:1 encoding times. You can go for a little lesser quality and cut that to about 2:1.

No, there is no such thing as accelerated file conversion within VT[3]. That sounds like something others do with hardware.

For MPEG-2 encoding: TMPGEnc.
For DVD authoring complete with AC-3 audio encoding: DVD Workshop 2.0
For DVD burning: RecordNow Max

As you can see, I use different tools for each part of the job, for maximum quality. Of course, everyone has their own favorite tools.

What is your definition of a difference between "DVD mastering" and "DVD archiving?"

For web use, the VT[3] works best with Windows Media Encoder.