PDA

View Full Version : illustrator file import

markflag
03-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Newbie using the 7.5 demo version trying to import a eps file done in Illustrator. I get a error about not finding the plug-in, perhaps it is disabled in the demo version? Anyway my real question is can I import seperate objects, drawn in place and in scale to each other from one file into LW. (i have attatched a file to reference)..Some of these seperate objects I would want to extrude, some lathe. I would want to do most of my modeling in this fashion and stay away from the drawing tools in LW if possible.

thanks for any feedback

Kurtis
03-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Can't answer the question about what comes in from the EPS, but I can tell you this.

LightWave prefered EPS files exported from Illustrator as v.8.

If it's saying it can't find the plugin, try this:
[list=1]
In LightWave Modeler:
Go to Modeler>Plugins>Edit Plugins
Click on Scan Directory
Choose the Plugins folder inside the LightWave folder on your hard drive.
When it says it has loaded Plugins, click on OK.
Click on Scan Directory
Choose the LScripts folder inside the LightWave folder on your hard drive.
Then click on Done.
In LightWave Layout:
Go to Layout>Plugins>Edit Plugins
Click on Scan Directory
Choose the Plugins folder inside the LightWave folder on your hard drive.
Click on Scan Directory
Choose the LScripts folder inside the LightWave folder on your hard drive.
Then click on Done.
[/list=1]

brayne
03-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Anyway my real question is can I import seperate objects, drawn in place and in scale to each other from one file into LW.

Yes.

The only things to remember are that once you bring an eps object into LW, it is "freezed" into polygons, rather than bezier curves. Make sure that you check that you are happy with the detail in your curves before you go and do your extrusions and lathing. The eps importer gives you 4 detail options: rough, standard, fine and super-fine. You will need to experiment to find which one is better suited for you. I generally use super-fine, but most of my geometry is used for print work, and must stand up to very close inspection.

The other thing is that you can't import compound paths, they will just come in as two solid polygons. For example, let's say you were importing the letter "O". You obviously want the middle of the "O" to be see-through, but it won't import that way. You will need to slice it into 2 "C"-shaped polygons that face each other, creating the illusion it is still an "O". Either that or you extrude the outside and inside separately and then Boolean subtract the inside from the outside.

Does that all make sense?

markflag
03-21-2004, 02:22 PM

498cc
03-22-2004, 08:30 AM
Howdy All,

Hey Brayne (and MarkFlag), You don't have to jump through all those hoops just to get a proper looking "O" or the like, simply make sure you have "auto axix drill" checked in you EPSF Loader. Works like a charm for me every time.

Illustrator compound paths will work when imported into LW, just make sure to save the eps file down to version 8 or less, as Kurtis recommends.

Later dudes,
Jimmy R

brayne
03-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Geez, I wish I'd seen that before!

Don't I feel a fool!