PDA

View Full Version : CD's or Electronic DL for LW8

cyphyr
03-19-2004, 01:48 PM
I've heard many people saying that our long awaited LW8 upgrade would nolonger be just an electronic download due to size and bandwidth restrictions but would now be sent out on cd's to all pre-registered users.
Is there any truth in this ?
Can someone who actualy knows respond ?
cyphyr
ps: glad to hear about the all new help system
pps: I'm not complaining about the wait either :)

tokyo drifter
03-19-2004, 03:21 PM
Quote from the Lightwave order page:

LightWave [8] Electronic Upgrade (4 CDs with program, all new content, Reference manual in electronic format - full-featured HTML Help system)

I can see why they decided not to do the electronic download anymore, 4 CDs worth of content would take forever to download, even on a high speed connection. I wonder what's on the 4 CDs? I know there's models and scenes but maybe one of those discs is video tutorials. That would be great.

mouse_art
03-19-2004, 03:33 PM
4 cd's ?
who said this ?

Capt Lightwave
03-19-2004, 03:51 PM
Newtek for instance:

http://www.newtek.com/buynow/software/lightwave+dfx.html

mouse_art
03-19-2004, 04:09 PM
Oh yep i see it.

thx for link :)

cyphyr
03-19-2004, 04:57 PM
Yes I see it too but I dont understand it !!

How can four CD's be an electronic upgade?

Especialy as on NT's FAQ page it says I can purchace the upgrade CD's for $99

Can someone from NT clarify ........ please, pretty please :)

TSpyrison
03-19-2004, 09:38 PM
[i]How can four CD's be an electronic upgade?[/B]

Actually, if it were an "electronic upgrade" then wouldn’t they have to come install some kind of circuitry in your computer? :D

It’s a software upgrade, just a matter of how that software upgrade gets delivered
:)

Im just realy curious, as to what all is on 4 cd's.. Up till now its always been on one. What did they fill 4 cd's with?

(unless you count 30 some-odd floppy floppy disks for the amiga toaster 2 to 3 upgrade....)

mouse_art
03-19-2004, 09:56 PM
I hope...

Conten, Content, Content! :D

dwburman
03-19-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by cyphyr
How can four CD's be an electronic upgade?

Chuck said it in another, very similar, thread (I'm too lazy to look it up right now). It's an "electronic" upgrade as opposed to a "downloadable" or "online" upgrade. If it's on a CD I guess it's still electronic just like almost everything else with computers. I'm not quoting him exactly but I believe that is how his statement was interpretted. Whether that interpretation was correct or not is another issue.

Alec Trevelyan
03-20-2004, 12:16 AM
excellent. CDs good;) Now if only we could get a hard copy of the manual...seeing as how screen real estate is always at a premium in a computer graphics environment, a book is a lot more handy than a pdf or html, though they have their place;)