PDA

View Full Version : Napalm demo

Activator
03-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Hi,

I'm interested in the Dynamic-Realities "Naplam" plugin, but the Mac "demo" they offer from thier site doesn't load.

http://www.dynamic-realities.com/napalm/index.html

("download demo" link at bottom of page)

It downloads as a .bin file. I removed the .bin suffix (it isn't a .bin file) and changed the creator to BBEdit, but it LW won't load the plug.

Anyone have a Demo copy lying around I could try?

These guys haven't returned my email or phone calls, so I'm not sure they're even still operating!

Phil
03-19-2004, 02:47 PM
They are operating, but I think they have actually been suffering from the LW plugin market. There is a support group for napalm on yahoo groups :

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/napalm3d

and you might be able to get some assistance there from Dave Vrba as he seems to be the author and maintainer for both Napalm and Impact.

Darth Mole
03-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Napalm is almost very good, but it suffers some weird side-effects due to limitations in LW's SDK. It has to use workarounds and often these can be a pain to use and cause instability.

It can achieve a lot more than LW's native Particle FX, but the future of the app is looking pretty bleak. There hasn't been any update for months (or any signs of activity at all), and since LW's SDK hasn't received any attention yet, it's safe to say that Naplm isn't going to become super-stable any time soon.

However, when it works, it can be very impressive. (For the record, Impact 3 - DR's hard body physics simulator - is amazing and heartily recommended).

Activator
03-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the info.

I mostly want Napalm for it's ability to "dissassemble" and "re-assemble"an object. I know I can do this by cutting up the object and animating it, but the "automation" of Napalm seems worth the cost. If I use it for what I want to do, there will be dozens of models and a need for quick revisions and changes.

No one has a link to a working "demo"? I just want to play with it first. As I said in the original post, the "demo" (Mac) on the D-R site does not sem to load into LW.

Can someone try the demo and see if they can figure out why it won't load? When I add the plugin, I get an error that there were "0 plugins".

http://www.dynamic-realities.com/napalm/index.html

("download demo" link at bottom of page.)

Thanks in advance for any help/info.

mlinde
03-20-2004, 11:02 AM
Although it isn't out yet, the vids for LW[8] show great improvement in the hard dynamics. Is this an "I need it now" or a "I'm looking at doing..." because when 8 comes it may do what you want...

toby
03-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Give me your email address (via private messaging) and I'll send you a working Napalm.p demo -

Activator
03-20-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by mlinde
Although it isn't out yet, the vids for LW[8] show great improvement in the hard dynamics. Is this an "I need it now" or a "I'm looking at doing..." because when 8 comes it may do what you want...

It's an "I'm looking at doing".

But I have no patience!!:D

I've had a few offers from nice folks with a "working" demo, so I'm hoping one will come through and I can see what Napalm can really do for me.

I'll look at the LW 8 specs again... maybe what I'm looking for will be there.