PDA

View Full Version : Architecture Modelling for Lightwave...

DarKchylD
03-19-2004, 09:43 AM
i was wondering if there was anyways to export formz objects into lightwave and maintaining full quad bcoz i can't seem to do it... and also is there anyways to work with autocad files on lightwave ?

mattclary
03-19-2004, 10:51 AM
Use DXF out with Autocad.

digefxgrp
03-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Have you tried saving your form-Z object as a .fact object? Lightwave supports that format and I thought it kept quads intact.

ingo
03-19-2004, 11:32 AM
Yes thats correct. If you have an old version of FormZ like me use the fact-format. Newer versions of FormZ i remember have already lwo support build in.

DarKchylD
03-19-2004, 12:26 PM
erm matt i m not too sure wat u r trying to say coz i dun have much experience with cad files... so r u saying i should export it as a dxf ?

fact format ... thanks i would check that out on monday when work starts again... it is actually my boss that needs to know how this is done... i m not sure of the version of formz that he is using...

i m working in this really small archi viz company and well i only use lightwave and my boss uses formz bcoz he feels it is easier to model with it... so now we have cad files and need to make some floor elevation with the cad plans... so if like it is possible to export the cad file's data and make them polygons that would save us a lot of work... any suggestions ?

tektonik
03-19-2004, 01:27 PM
form-z is an awesome architectural modeler (i use it all the time and Lightwave for render)

Form-z is also the most open software format wise and guess what ? IT HAS PERFECT EXPORT CAPABILITIES directly in lwo format soooo much better than dxf / 3ds since everything that's supposed to be welded is and the surface names remain intact

you need to have at least version 3.9 i think

DarKchylD
03-19-2004, 10:16 PM
hehe i dunno so much about tht... i just feel more comfortable with lightwave... anyways i tried importing it into lwo... it worked but i think some of the non planar surfaces or boolean holes were triangulated so now i need to know if it could be kept in quads instead...

discode
03-21-2004, 07:07 AM
Do a search on Flay.com for a pluging called merge trigon x. It will convert your tri's to quads.....

DarKchylD
03-22-2004, 08:09 AM
thanks for all the replies... i think the fact format has done the magic... thanks for the tip on trigon x too... been looking for something like that... : )