PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade question

tubes1
03-19-2004, 09:10 AM
Hello,

I own Lightwave six (Mac) and I bought a newer computer and want to move the software over to the new computer. I remember when I first installed it back in 2000, I had to get some number off my computer, call Newtek and have them give me some number based on what I told them and yatta yatta yatta. So, my question is this: Do I need to get any numbers or anything off my old computer before I get rid of it or do I just need to call Newtek again when I reinstall it? I just don't want to do anything that will cause me to have to buy another license cause I didn't have some info. Also, I'll eventually want to upgrade to OS X and a newer version of Lightwave. Should I keep my version 6 on the computer with the little purple key thing plugged in or do I just do a basic install? Sorry for all the basic questions, but this software is expensive and I just don't want to screw anything up. Thanks.

BeeVee
03-19-2004, 03:04 PM
You will not have to buy a new licence first - I thought I'd get that out of the way to set your mind at rest!

The number is called your license.key and you will find the file in the programs folder inside the LightWave folder. Open that file with a text editor and take a note of the number. It will be sixteen digits in length.

Install your LightWave on the new machine and simply edit the license.key file you'll find on it when installed. Put the number that you noted into the file and make sure the license.key file is saved as plain text, not RTF.

B

Kurtis
03-19-2004, 04:27 PM
If you upgrade to OSX, without upgrading to LightWave 7+ first, you will need to download and install the LightWave 6.5b update for it to work properly.