PDA

View Full Version : flickering stuff

gordonrobb
03-19-2004, 05:28 AM
I have two different animations that have problems.

One is a space one, the stars are objects (random stars) which have a surface. When I render the scene the start flicker so badly that it is hard to see them.

The other is a scene with Ice in it, and caustics shining through. When I animate the caustics flicker (i have selected cache caustics).

Can anyone give me a clue?

wacom
03-19-2004, 06:11 AM
Don't cache caustics for animation.

gordonrobb
03-19-2004, 07:16 AM
If I don't cache caustics for animation, even though nothing in the scene is moving (except the camera), what is the point of having the 'cache caustics' option?

HailStorm
03-19-2004, 09:46 AM
Try turning AntiAliasing on in the camera properties

gordonrobb
03-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Anti Aliasing is on...

Does anyone know how I can post the AVI file? I have no website to put it on.

norvman
03-19-2004, 11:41 AM
Try rendering out to frames at double the resolution of your final animation....

then when you put all your frames together to make your animation...
(in what ever program your using for that... Toaster.... Aura... QuickTime... etc...

set the output animation to the origonal size you intended...

the Animation building program with comprese the rendered frames down and eleminate most if not all of your flickering...

Anyway worth a try .....

I have used the method on several projects to get rid of the flickers....

madrenderman
03-19-2004, 02:20 PM
you can see flickering when :
- render with adptive sampling too high (try to 0.05, or lower) this parameter decide how and where lw do AA in the pixel

- cache caustic
- radiosity with low quality parameters
- hdri not corrected utilized
- texture with no antialias on texture panels

toby
03-20-2004, 07:52 PM
You may need to turn up the accuracy of the caustics, really high. Another option is to fake it - project an image of the caustics onto the ground plane.