PDA

View Full Version : how to???

pdrake
03-18-2004, 08:19 PM
this is the source i got from my client. i know the overall size of the building and the height.

can anyone offer any advice on how to model this from this image?

thanks.

http://www.imageassociates.org/perry/dtf-1.jpg

NigelH
03-18-2004, 10:10 PM
It's possible, but I can't imagine a client that's willing to pay for the amount of time necessary to do it well. If no plan view exists (and I assume it doesn't or the client would have given it to you), then you will have to create one yourself by eyeballing this illustration and lining up the features by hand in an appropriate 2D drawing app - before you can even start working in Lightwave.

In effect you'd be doing the architect's job in addition to your own. Hope you're getting paid enough for both.

pdrake
03-18-2004, 10:23 PM
heh, there's not only floor plans, but models. it's just a ***** getting them from the gov.

that's all i can say.

prospector
03-18-2004, 11:27 PM
If you know the size of building and the height, then you have the exact measurments for everything in pic.

Go to WallMart and get a Helix RS 170A ruler (mine is white and is triangular in shape and a foot long.

But it has scales on all sides (like 1 foot is 1/4 in or 1 ft is 1/16 in).

Measure the length of a wall on one of the scales (the one that fits your pic) and it will give you the scale and measuring the walls will give you the right measurments.

Then start with a flat plane the size of the building.
Using your knife tool, start slicing where walls are, (going all the way across for everything), when you have all the walls cut then highlight them,smoothshift,and move them to proper height of doorways (do not highlite the doorways), smooth shift again and move to wall height.Now highlite the small polys above where each door will be and smoothshift them (1 at a time tho), and do a stretch with selection center on (not mouse center), they will come together in the center of doorway, delete the polys and merge points.

Using same measuring teknique, you can also get measurments of pipes and such.

Should take no more than a day (after the WallMart visit)

brayne
03-19-2004, 05:23 AM
Given the situation, Prospector probably has the best suggestion, but unless I'm mistaken (which I'll admit, happens quite a bit) this method would be better suited to an isometric illustration. The image you have posted has perspective, so the walls in the distance will measure smaller than the walls at the front.

I'm afraid I don't offer any solutions, just something to be aware of.

Haven1000
03-19-2004, 06:18 AM
Why don't you open the image in Photoshop, select the circumference of the building and use the distort/ perspective tools in "Edit>Transform" the building from a perspective to a 2D plan, well until the walls are at 90 from each other, then if you know the overall dimensions of the building, use them in-conjunction with the correct ratio of lenght:Width and resize the image to match at an appropriate scale, print off the image an use a scale rule to take the individual sizes.

Hope you can follow this and good luck with you project.

zander
03-19-2004, 07:55 AM
Here you go,

I hope this helps. I did the Photoshop thing on your image. You might be able to take this image into Illustrator, trace it (by hand) and export an EPS.

Here's a low-res version:

zander
03-19-2004, 07:56 AM
And here's a hi-res version,

There's a GIF and a JPG in the ZIP file:

Zarathustra
03-19-2004, 10:26 AM
brayne's right - you can't measure anything on that image due to the perspective. If that's all you get, then good luck! You'll just have to eyeball it.

I did that before, but I got blueprints (not eps files, big a s s blueprints! A lot of fun to scan on a 8.5x14 scanner) and I'm looking at a situation where I'll have to do it again, but the client realized it's cheaper to buy the model from the architects then it is to pay me to start from scratch.

Maybe you can draw it out in Illustrator, import the eps into Modeler, extrude the walls up to the proper height (they should AT LEAST tell you that info) and then go around and knock out the doorways.
The stuff in the rooms, well, uh, good luck again.

pdrake
03-19-2004, 10:32 AM
thanks for the help. i really appreciate it.

for big a s s blueprints, take them to a blueprint making place and have them scanned there.j they have big a s s scanners for just that purpose.