PDA

View Full Version : Who switched to Mac Lightwave just recently?

Ade
03-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Im just curious to see who has took on mac as the platform of choice as well as the real viz lightwave deal? Seems LW on mac is growing more and more.
I think its time for plugin makers to get their mac versions out now that we have decnt numbers.

blueagave
03-18-2004, 09:09 PM
I just switched to a Mac from a PC (though I didn't get the RealViz deal). In fact, my duo USB dongle just got here today.

The only downside is that my plugin development was cut short since the Apple Xcode tools can't create the old school (I'm too new to even know the correct terminology) binaries that LW requires.

Ade
03-19-2004, 06:19 AM
So u develope plugins?
What sort?

blueagave
03-19-2004, 11:31 AM
So far I've written a couple of modelling plugins, but I'm not limiting myself to just modelling. I was planning to tackle some shaders next.

james767
03-19-2004, 11:37 AM
I switch to MAC G5 from PC. I got sick of playing PC doctor and XP is such a dreadful user experience

durden
03-22-2004, 07:53 PM
NT said they were changing over to xcode on Jan 3rd, and I if my reading were correct LW 8 will be done in the new development code, which I think is why it is taking them so long to come out with LW 8...

Blackeye
03-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Last time I touched LW it was version 5.6 on the Mac. Open GL was impossible to use so I moved on. I thought I wasted a bunch of money it sat on the shelf for years. Now I've revived it. A bit buggy but not a showstopper like before. I'm doing my first client project already. Which is more to say than the old version.
Can't wait to play with the extras.

Gerard
:D

Ade
03-23-2004, 06:13 AM
I know mac users who want to get into 3D alweays look for one thing - true mac intergration.

Right now Maya for some reason and c4d are mac users choices if they dont know what lightwave is.

macs are for the creative in heart, I would like to see some lightwave+ apple OEM packages, or atleast advertise in many of the mac centric magazines.

Xlr8yourmac.com likes lightwave,we need more of that.

Once I suggested a lightwave benchmark utility like cinebench for mac, it could be the benchamrk app of choice for 3d ppl and in the same time show how greate LW is.

durden
03-23-2004, 10:11 AM
exactly integration is key...I work with that community and no one I know thinks of buying LW it's always Maya or C4d or both...one of the main problems is how lightwave integrates with after effects, most of the designers I know work with AE and want simple 3d integration for 3d text and a few larger animations. I have bugged LW about better AE integration, actually a lot of people have...I hope that it gets easier. (oh and I have used the 3rd party apps, I don't like copying from the clipboard but will if I have to) Also I am glad NT is making large user interface improvements, because ease of use is a mac virtue, no one thinks of adding file extensions to a surface to get it to be reconized by the program, but I also think this is changing with LW 8 which I am largely happy with from what I have seen...javascript:smilie(';)')

ray_tracer
03-23-2004, 10:23 AM
Xlr8yourmac likes Lightwave, eh? I'll have to take a look at that :)

I know nothing about Maya on Mac and all I know of Cinema4D is secondhand but what I DO hear over and over again is that Cinema4D is rock-solid on Mac - virtually never crashing. That's a VERY attractive "feature". ;)

Then again, the glitches and crashes I experience with alarming frequency could be connected to the fact that I'm using an older version of LW (6.5) on OS 9.2.2.....

Neal