PDA

View Full Version : OSX reinstall in order

Johnny
03-16-2003, 06:36 PM
I have been having loads of troubles today: LW and modeler can't seem to 'remember' where one texture map is, keep losing track of the plugins, won't synchronize between Modeler and Layout, and getting shaders to perform is a complete coin flip.

Plus, I'm getting lots of beachball time from doing innocent things, like trying to select menu items, or changing viewports.

My scene has 4 spheres and a floor, and the total poly count is 2562.

A little wonkiness, I chalk up to working with computers, but when it gets this crazy, I wonder whether a wipe-and-install will set things to right.

before I do this, I wanted to gather opinions from those who've had similar issues.

I have reinstalled LW, and zapped my P-RAM, allow the Mac to do its housekeeping at 3am, etc.

any help would be appreciated. I'm going nowhere at 900mhz!

Johnny

Beamtracer
03-17-2003, 04:48 AM
The OS itself may not be the problem. Have you tried trashing your Lightwave preferences?

Otherwise, you could try booting up on the OS X install CD and running Disk First Aid (in the File menu) and select the option to repair privileges.

Johnny
03-17-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
The OS itself may not be the problem. Have you tried trashing your Lightwave preferences?

Otherwise, you could try booting up on the OS X install CD and running Disk First Aid (in the File menu) and select the option to repair privileges.

Yes...I did the trash LW prefs and run init config a number of times, mainly bcs I kept on getting that 'can't find plugins' dialogue..

is it possible that I have a bad scene or model file that could be causing the problems?

I'm trying a bunch of utilities (Maintain it, Mac Janitor) to see if they will straighten things out.

J

Caveboy
03-18-2003, 06:36 PM
It never hurts to do a weekly fix of your permissions via the OSX's Drive Utility.

Make sur to boot off the cd if your OSX drive is the boot disk.

Dan

luka
03-18-2003, 07:34 PM
I had a few probs similar to you. For some reason my Content Directory was out of wack, so maybe check that. Also you could check your lw prefrence files in Users:username:Library:Prefrences:
have a look at your ContentDirectory & DirectoryType paths. That shall tell you whether your plug in path is set correctly.

Johnny
03-21-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by luka
I had a few probs similar to you. For some reason my Content Directory was out of wack, so maybe check that. Also you could check your lw prefrence files in Users:username:Library:Prefrences:
have a look at your ContentDirectory & DirectoryType paths. That shall tell you whether your plug in path is set correctly.

Not sure how to go about that last...I know how to look for those prefs files IN the Finder, but are you talking about using something withing LW itself to verify the correct path?

My content directory now is the folder where I have this problematic project.

Glow is still being a tricky beast for me.

J