PDA

View Full Version : Apple tortures us with false New G5 ads!!!!

Ge4-ce
03-18-2004, 04:54 PM
Check

www.apple.com (http://www.apple.com)

They almost got me.. This is TORTURE!! You hear me!! TORTURE I SAY!!

Letting me believe the new G5 finally is there..

Beamtracer
03-18-2004, 05:19 PM
I don't think there's anything false about Apple's ad that says the G5 is the fastest thing out there.

When software optimized for the G5 is pitted against software optimized for Intel, the G5 wins every time.

The only time when Intel processors can beat the G5 is when the software has not been optimized properly for the G5.

In the case of Lightwave, I don't know what optimization will have occurred in Lightwave 8. But I can tell you, as soon as they have a version of Lightwave fully compiled on Xcode and optimized for the G5 it will beat any Intel based competitor.

Newtek has said they will eventually have an Xcode compiled Lightwave. I don't know how long this will take, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Ade
03-18-2004, 05:28 PM
NAB new g5s and lw8

Darth Mole
03-19-2004, 01:54 AM
NAB: April 17-21.

That makes sense on both counts. I've heard that LW is coming VERY soon from a number of sources - I can imagine NewTek would like a finished version they can actually sell to studios by then.

And I'm sure Apple would like to show off the world's fastest Mac with FCP, DVDPro, Shake, etc...

My poor little dual 2GHz - no longer the fastest Mac. Oh well, time to upgrade!!

brayne
03-19-2004, 05:06 AM
I have a Dual 2Ghz at home, and one at work. I don't care what's around the corner, what I have right now is bloody fast!

Ge4-ce
03-19-2004, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
I don't think there's anything false about Apple's ad that says the G5 is the fastest thing out there.

Well I didn't mean false in such a way. What they say is correct offcourse, but I'm waiting for months now for the New updated G5, the money is there, I had to work very hard to save it,.. I need this computer very hard to do my work a lot better (Animation student going for finals) and I refresh apple.com at least 3 times a day to see if somethings new. I'm totally addicted to the rumorpages in the hopes they know more.

Can you imagine what it does to me when you go to apple.com and see a picture of a G5 add on the first page???? something like WHOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOEEEEUUUUWWW!!! THEY're HERE!!!!

and then.. Oh no.. it's just an ad for the current model.. That hurts man :( :D :rolleyes:

fxgeek
03-19-2004, 09:59 AM
Id say they'll be out before Nab. My guess is next week or the week after. NAB is not somewhere theyve ever launched hardware before. Im guessing those ads are the precurssor to a new ad campaign and to whet everyones appetite !!!

Zarathustra
03-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Well, whenever I get email announcing new pricing for whatever the current Mac is, that's always an indicator that a new line is on it's way.

james767
03-19-2004, 10:44 AM
Ya right I'm getting tired of this whining. The software is not even optimized witch is more imported then at most a 20% speed increase pricy ram and possible downgrades

Originally posted by brayne
I have a Dual 2Ghz at home, and one at work. I don't care what's around the corner, what I have right now is bloody fast!

Zarathustra
03-19-2004, 10:55 AM
I'm sorry, what's your point? Something about importing whiny witches? What?

james767
03-19-2004, 11:28 AM
Hi

People are so stuck on rumors Apple will release faster G5's eventually, but to say people are wasting there money by buying a G5 now. These people are trying to time high Tech witch is foolish. I have a G5 that 2 months old everybody back then told me that the new G5 are days away and I'm wasting mony. Time moves slowly. All too human

Originally posted by Zarathustra
I'm sorry, what's your point? Something about importing whiny witches? What?

J Martin
03-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Speaking of which...

Is anyone working with LW on a laptop? I really want to buy the 17 inch powerbook and I'm wondering if there are any downsides.

J

Ge4-ce
03-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by J Martin
Speaking of which...

Is anyone working with LW on a laptop? I really want to buy the 17 inch powerbook and I'm wondering if there are any downsides.

J

Yep.. I'm working on a 15" Tibook 1GHz..

Let me see.. Are there downsides? Yes,.. Definitly.

1: Keyboard. A full extended keyboard is very nice when using lightwave. Especially the numeric panel is the one I miss. I'm almost qualified for Cirque du Soleil with an act named: Putting your fingers in an impossible way to use keyboard shortcuts..

2: Speed. It depends offcourse what you want, the OpenGL performance is not THAT great. At least not compared to a desktop. Processor speeds also.. And most important.. DISK speed. 4300 RPM is not enough..

Roughly said: For 3000 bucks, today you get a 17" powerbook.

For about 3400 bucks, you get a dual G5 with a CRT monitor going about 4 times as fast or faster than the powerbook.

When you wanna do serious 3D, keep the following in mind:

Why do you want a portable?

- So you can carry your work around (read: let the work follow you where ever you go ;) ) my advise: go for it

- You want to buy a new computer and you think.. why not a portable, they do speed those things up nowadays, and when the occasion's there that I have to move my computer, at least I don't get a hernia,.. GO FOR A G5 DESKTOP PLEASE!

Personal opinion: I bought this a year ago and got rid of my desktop G4. Now I'm waiting for the new G5 to arrive because I really really miss a desktop that gives me roughly 4 to 6 times the speed I have today.

js33
03-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Speaking of which...

J
Yes it is G4 based and is quite expensive for a G4 based computer better to wait for the G5 powerbooks. :D

Cheers,
JS

js33
03-19-2004, 12:21 PM
OK since we are on the rumormill...

So does anyone think there will be a speed bump before the dev conf this summer?

Steve promised to be at 3Ghz within a year of launching the original G5 last June so it seems like there may not be enough time for an intermediate speed like 2.5 Ghz machines to be released between now and June.

Also are we likely to see a G5 powerbook by June?

Cheers,
JS

J Martin
03-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Well, the reason for the laptop would be to take the work to the client's office, rather than having them come to the home and step over dirty laundry. :p I could also take it to my favorite café and work from there.

jro2a
03-19-2004, 02:38 PM
Tough it out..... Wait for the G5 PowerBook. Even if it
comes out at just 1.6 ghz (for power and heat reasons) it will still
be worth the wait. "LW", "FinalCutPro", "SoundTrack" and
"DVDStudioPro" on the go.........

Jim R.

Beamtracer
03-19-2004, 03:28 PM
It's actually true what was said earlier on this thread, the the optimization of the software will give everyone a far greater speed bump than the incremental increase from today's current hardware compared to next month's new hardware.

Optimization is critical.

Today's G5 is really a better processor than anything Intel has to offer.

In the G4 days, software wasn't well optimized for it either. Sure, there was exaggerations from Steve Jobs and his famous "reality distortion field", but if software was better optimized for the G4, it would have performed vastly better.

The difference now, with the G5, is that the tools have been provided to make it easier for software developers to optimize for it. Xcode and other advances will make this happen, no doubt about it. Lots of software companies are using it, or have announced intention to use it in the near future.

I believe that later this year we will see the first major graphics apps to emerge highly optimized for the G5. Those people with today's G5s will get a tremendous speed boost when this happens.

toby
03-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Well, the reason for the laptop would be to take the work to the client's office, rather than having them come to the home and step over dirty laundry. :p I could also take it to my favorite café and work from there.

Get a good Desktop, ( when it comes time to render 1000 frame animation you'll be sorry you got a laptop ) and get a G3 ibook for the demonstrations and such.

toby
03-19-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Ge4-ce
I'm waiting for months now for the New updated G5, the money is there, I had to work very hard to save it,.. I need this computer very hard to do my work a lot better (Animation student going for finals) and I refresh apple.com at least 3 times a day to see if somethings new. I'm totally addicted to the rumorpages in the hopes they know more.

I'm right with ya brother. Had the same shock as you, and I'm sick of waiting!