PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever used firewire HD to save output.

dysiu
03-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Hi,

It seems like we are out of hard drive space. The best (cheapest) option for us is external firewire HD that would work as a backup for some of the projects but it would be great if we could save "Program Out" in real time directly to this drive (uncompresed video). Does anybody do that around here? If not do you think it would be possible?

Thanks a lot for the comments. Greg.

SBowie
03-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Sure, lots of VT users have a number of these for off-loading data.

RomainR
03-18-2004, 05:15 PM
I have one and I've used it many time to digitize DV avi files but I haven't tried to digitize RTV files.

bradl
03-18-2004, 07:44 PM
In my experience, you can record directly RTV's to firewire but of course it depends on the specs of your HD and Firewire disk controller. We also use Firewire to play RTV on timeline but you can only get one stream from that drive without background rendering.

tfrank
03-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Although I haven't digitized direct to my firewire drive, I play back clips (RTV-real time) all the time. I bought a firewire enclosure and stuffed my own 250 gig drive into it. I originally wanted to use USB2, but our motherboard won't support USB2. I was running out of space too, I needed someplace to stash files/projects while waiting for client OK's. It works great and I am going to be buying another external firewire enclosure(got mine at COMP USA) soon. You can pick up hard drives on the "cheap" by watching the specials. If you can, check out the newest firewire format that is twice the transfer rate. I've seen cards for sale on the internet for $30.00 or so. I would love to have the faster transfer rate. Then you could probably digitize direct to your firwire drive.

Jim Capillo
03-19-2004, 09:13 AM
I'm using one of the CompUSA specials here, too. Mostly for storage, but it also works fine over the LAN for file movement. Big space, low price......

Rich Deustachio
03-19-2004, 09:20 AM
I use a LaCie 320 gig external firewire 800 hard drive. It is very fast and easy to set up. I copied an 80gig project folder, rtvs, cg, music, project files, undo files, the whole works in an hour. LaCie (http://www.lacie.com/products/family.htm?id=10007)

mgrusin
03-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Even though Firewire is rated at 400 (or 800) MB/s, you're still limited by the speed of the hard drive on the other end. The Parallel IDE drives I've been using run in the 30-40MB/s range. If my math is right it takes ~22MB/s to record RTV in realtime, so in theory it should work...

In practice there are a lot of real-world factors that limit drive speeds (drives run faster when empty and slow as they fill, etc.) so your mileage may vary. But it's worth a try, let us know how it goes. (If nothing else you've bought another backup drive, which you'll need sooner or later).

-MG.