PDA

View Full Version : Uncompressed RTV via FireWire

JesusLovesU
03-18-2004, 11:40 AM
Is VT3 capable of storing DV materials directly via FireWire, into uncompressed RTV files?

Paul Lara
03-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Yes, you can transfer RTV files across a firewire connection to a hard drive, CD, or DVD burner. Firewire is just a hose, just as IDE or SCSI.

To DV tape? No. All that will be accepted by a DV deck are DV clips.

dysiu
03-18-2004, 04:25 PM
He probably wants to know if it's possible to write (read) streams of uncompresed video directly from external firewire drive...

I'd like to know that too. It seems like the max transfer is around 20Mb/s which would be enough but that's theory. It's decent for backups when you work from your SCSI and move some of the stuff using firewire but I'm not sure about playing (saving) your real time streams through firewire.

JesusLovesU
03-19-2004, 06:24 AM
Yes! I would like to mix DV materials and uncompressed Beta SP materials (from analog component) in my editing. It is glad to have DV material transfer via FireWire (digital) rahter than composite (analog) as to maintain the quality of the DV-source materials. In addition, it is better to apply special effects, multi-layer graphics on the uncompressed DV-source clips, than on the native DV clips.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Is VT3 capable of performing the following workflow?

DV deck (or camera) --->>
[FireWire] --->>
VT3 ---[save]--->>
Uncompressed RTV file (or any other type of uncompressed file)

bradl
03-19-2004, 02:48 PM
Yes of course VT3 can directly record DV firewire input. Connect your camera or deck and you can control it for batch capture or manual capture. Make sure you are recording the DV input and not switcher program out and you are set.

DonN
03-21-2004, 10:01 PM
I found that recording DV or .rtv format directly to a external firewire drive isn't feasible, even though the drivetest is at a legal rate, of 24MBS. So I record on my video stripped array, and copy to the firewire, and now a .rtv clip will play fine, Only one stream though as one would expect..., off the external firewire drive. Don