PDA

View Full Version : How fast is LW8 for rendering compare to LW7.5?

blackvx
03-18-2004, 09:18 AM
I need to make a convincing argument to my client to purchase the new LW8. My client is a non-technical person and I just told that LW8 is faster to work with and render faster. I can see many other features worth purchasing the new version but I can't really explain those features in a simple way to my client. Beside saying "It is faster and easier to work with".

So, does anyone knows how much faster is rendering for LW8 compared to LW7.5? .....5%, 10%, 20%????

Thanks for your help!

Michael

knuckles644
03-18-2004, 05:49 PM
I wasn't aware LW8 had been released yet...:confused:

When it does come out, I don't expect it to have a faster renderer or faster OpenGL rendering. In fact, I would assume that the system requirements would logically increase.

peter66
03-18-2004, 09:45 PM
OpenGL performance is "enhanced" in LW8.
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/8/features.php#OpenGLEnhancements

Try Worley Labs' new FPrime plugin to increase rendering speed (to your client: "approximately 20 times faster"?).
http://www.worley.com

Pete

knuckles644
03-19-2004, 06:57 AM
Wow, those OGL features are pretty sweet, I guess Newtek finally realized it needed better OGL implementation:)

blackvx
03-19-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by knuckles644
I wasn't aware LW8 had been released yet...:confused:

When it does come out, I don't expect it to have a faster renderer or faster OpenGL rendering. In fact, I would assume that the system requirements would logically increase.

Well Newtek claims that it is going to be faster but they don't mention any details about it.

I guess I'll wait the release to hear about it.

Thanks,
Michael

Maimo
03-20-2004, 12:00 PM
yea come to think of it i havnt seen any benchmarks posted if so could someone point them out to me?

it would be cool to see some posted prior to the release, perhaps proton could make a video so we can see the real results and not some made up figure.

ackees
03-22-2004, 01:31 PM
I am also interested in improved speed out of the box, no amount of added features will help if the supper new car won’t go faster than a horse and cart (and why should we have to buy another car –Fprime – to pull it along).

pauland
03-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Is this an unusual thing to do (ie ask a client to pay for the tools that you use)? I'd always thought that client paid for some end result and the artist factored in their time and costs for the end price. After all, after this particular job, your client is then subsidising your subsequent work.

Paul

Maimo
03-22-2004, 03:34 PM
yeah that is kinda wierd but it could be part of the payment. In freelance anything goes.