PDA

View Full Version : Billboard trees

Alan Safewood
03-18-2004, 04:41 AM
Hi

I've seen some animations where the trees are made like billboards that turns towards the camera at all times. Is this possible in Lightwave?

Regards
Alan

nlightuk
03-18-2004, 05:37 AM
Alan,

Yes it is. You have to add billboards that are all targetted to the camera. Pointclone will place trees for you, then you can attach billboards to those points.

Alternatively, you can play with using HV sprites instead of billboards, with variable results (from my tests)

The absence of an effective object instancing feature in LW makes the project incredibly slow and unweildy with many trees - it is easier in a product where instancing is part of the toolset. You can invest in an object instancing plugin to alleaviate this, but AFAIK they are all commercial.

I use World Construction Set (currently $500) for this sort of visualisation, and the Scene Express addon allows me to export my WCS scene complete with foliage directly to a LWS file

As the UK reseller of WCS, feel free to contact me if you want more information.

Best regards

Adam

Alan Safewood
03-18-2004, 08:32 AM
OK thanks!

I'll try the first method first!
- I've made a tree (flat)
- I've made it targetted to the camera, it works!

- But when I try to clone it (in modeler) all the clones behaves as one big box. I need the trees to rotate independantly. What did I do wrong?

Regards
Alan

nlightuk
03-18-2004, 08:57 AM
Hence the need for an object instancing plugin, or copy of software that can export you a LW scene complete with foliage objects already textured, scaled and positioned...

The only way you can do it without these is to manually place each instance of a tree by hand.

Regards

Adam

RUdiger
03-18-2004, 10:09 AM
You can make the billboards face the camera with a point-at plugin, or by targeting the heading at the camera. If you do this before using an lscript like arrayclone to clone the tree about the landscape, all the clones will share this setting.
HV sprites are cool because you can use a sequence of tree images to make the forest random. Onyx Tree makes very nice tree images w/ alpha, and tree models.

nlightuk
03-18-2004, 10:20 AM
RUdiger wrote:

> "HV sprites are cool because you can use a sequence of tree images to make the forest random."

But you may find render errors with HV Sprites when using a weight map (applied to your placement points) to drive Sprite size.

> Onyx Tree makes very nice tree images w/ alpha, and tree models."

As does Xfrog and a number of other alternatives...

Marlin textures do a CD of tree image maps with corresponding billboards and clip/alpha maps already created for you.

Regards

Adam