PDA

View Full Version : Stratocaster

Alan Daniels
03-17-2004, 11:07 PM
Hi folks! Just a bit of modeling work. Took me far too long to finish. :) Let me know what you think could be improved. Thanks!

http://www.alandaniels.com/images/stratocaster.jpg

Obvious flaws: The neck is too thick, didn't see that until turning the darn thing sideways. Oh well!

Let me know if you want to see detail shots. The plastic plate on the front of the guitar is, in fact, raised, but you can't quite tell from this one render.

P.S. Done with 7's renderer, not FPrime (even though I own a copy. Man oh man did that speed up the workflow!)

sidetrak
03-17-2004, 11:55 PM
I dont know much about guitars but from what i can tell it looks good, i think if you made the textures more appealing it would look very photorealistic. Can you post a wireframe please?

DM67
03-18-2004, 02:42 AM
Hi Alan,
excellent modeling and texturing :cool: , however I would want to see the same guitar with the texture aged / dirties .
Cool work:)

Alan Daniels
03-18-2004, 05:31 AM
Sidetrack, here's a wireframe:

http://www.alandaniels.com/images/stratocaster_wireframe.jpg

DM67, you're right! :) I had originally planned on dirtying it up a bit and trying to get it as photorealistic as possible, but I got bogged down in the modeling (my work schedule has kept interrupting my LW time lately :p ), so by the time I got ready for the texturing, I was tired of looking at it, and just wanted to move on to something else. So, I finished it up with a clean look.

Maybe not super-true to my original vision of it, but I'm still learning at this point, and gotta make sure this stays fun and not "work", if I want to keep going.

P.S. Almost forgot, this was hard for me since I didn't have enough reference images. Had to make up certain bits of detail in my head and just wing it. Advice to all: Get LOTS of reference images!

cagey5
03-18-2004, 07:24 AM
Is it me or is that body way too big for the neck?

Love the look of it generally though, a good clean look well lit. Nice one.

colkai
03-18-2004, 08:29 AM
Nope, not you, the strat is a much more streamlined axe.

http://jimphelps.com/images/rsstrat.jpg

or

http://www.flaming-pie.net/~atn/images/wallpapers/stratocaster.jpg

Alan Daniels
03-18-2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by colkai
Nope, not you, the strat is a much more streamlined axe.

You are correct! :) I'm still learning. Always will be, I suppose. It wasn't until I turned the model vertical, rather than horizontal, that I realized the neck wasn't correctly scaled in comparison to the body. I've read it in many art books that you should turn off the "symbol processor" part of your mind by taking the object you're drawing or painting, and turn it upside down or sideways, in order to see the actual shapes rather than thinking to yourself "that's a guitar" or what have you. I should have done that here.

Mr-Wizard
03-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Looking good,

As far as the model goes I think you need to taper the neck more before it enters the headstock, you will also need to reduce the width of the headstock as well.

Other than that, pretty good ;)

Bona
03-18-2004, 10:56 AM
Nice wood color. The body looks too thin to me, may be due to the lighting. Instead of narrowing the neck, I think you should make it longer coz the proportion of the bottom part is ok. If your guitar is a new one, the body looks too matte. Insert a pick between the strings of the head would be nice.

PS. Sorry for the picky comments, I'm a guitar player : D

colkai
03-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Alan Daniels
You are correct! :) I'm still learning. Always will be, I suppose.

Hey, No problemo! :p As for learning, I figure, the day you stop wanting to learn, you die a little. ;)

I've done a couple of guitars myself, got sidetracked with other things, but eventually I'll do all my guitars.
Am I to presume you don't have a guitar then? You could do worse than pop into a music shop and take a look over a few.
Also, go to google images and do a search on 'Stratocaster' for more ref. pics than you really ever need! ;)

leafcutter
03-18-2004, 07:16 PM
i like the wood texture and the metal, in fact over all the quality of the render is good. I think the paint needs a bit of work though- how about making some nice reflections in your scene? Even my bashed up old strat still reflects a whole load. It will bring out the countours of the model and make it look less flat too.

I think you need to improve the lines of the guitar though, it's not smooth enough and the proportions are quite far out. I'm sure there are loads of images of Strat's on Google image search, all proportional and shape errors could have been eliminated by prepering some good backdrop shots.

I'm just trying to be constructive though so please don't take it personally.

Also there is a good strat tutorial on the net - sorry can't recall where at the moment..... Google.......

All the best,

John.

Alan Daniels
03-18-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by leafcutter
I'm just trying to be constructive though so please don't take it personally.

Oh no! I really do appreciate the critique. All part of the learning process. :) Mostly this is about seeing what I'm doing wrong; I know I need to work on my perception of shapes. At some point I'll try this again, seeing how much I can improve. Thank you for the help.

nimrod k funk
03-20-2004, 05:01 PM
well...being an old timer and bassist/guitarist for ove 20 years i have to say that the overall shape is not quite right. the headstock is too small and the bottom horn is too angular for starters.

how did you start modelling this? by eye?
why not put a picture of a strat in the background in modeler and trace points around it? that way you KNOW the shape is correct.

its getting there though and nice work on the metal surface around the input and on the guitar stand.

BTW i'm currently modeling a fender jazz bass!! - feel free to pop across to the 'work in progress' forum and critique mine!!!!!!

:-)