PDA

View Full Version : a memory leak... or is it just me?

fabmedia
03-17-2004, 09:33 PM
Does anyone have any problems with the little spinning rainbow with LW? My dual 867 with 1.12 Gb of RAM is exceedingly think-worthy. LW is slow to respond most of the time and scrubbing is near impossible unless you have the items displayed as boxes. If I want to adjust a limited area box, good luck.

Anyone else with these issues? Anyone with a beta of LW 8 tell me that it's okay?

Darth Mole
03-18-2004, 02:20 PM
That sounds wrong. Layout is pretty responsive in most instances I had a dual 800 and never had any problems like that. Is your graphics card okay? The RAM checks out?

fabmedia
03-18-2004, 02:54 PM
LW is awfully sluggish around here. I have a stock G4 dual 867 and nothing but slowness. I can't figure it out. I've done everything I could, can, and do to keep my machine optimized, but there is something that's not working right.

I have a scene with about 750, 000 polygons and everything displayed as boxes, and I can hardly scrub. It's just painful. The hardware check doesn't come up with anything in ill regards concerning the RAM and graphics card so I'm at a loss.

I'm not too sure of what I should do.

jdavidbakr
03-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Have you done the typical troubleshooting: repair disk permissions, reset the PRAM (restart holding down Apple-Option-P-R for 4-5 chimes), run Disk Warrior, try creating a new user with admin priviledges and see if it experiences the same problem?

fabmedia
03-18-2004, 03:55 PM
Oh ya!!!! All of that and then some. I'm getting completely tired of this. I just crashed BIG TIME and lost about 1 hours worth of work. The crashing happens lots too.

I'm a tad PO'd because it doesn't seem that anyone else is experiencing these issues...

jdavidbakr
03-19-2004, 07:29 AM
You don't have Norton installed on your system, do you? If you do, get rid of it and get it far away from your computer. Don't even keep the disks in the same room. ;)

fabmedia
03-19-2004, 10:20 AM
I do use Norton to defragement my disks... is that a problem?

jdavidbakr
03-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Not unless it is actually installed; if you just run it from the disk, you will be allright.

fabmedia
03-19-2004, 11:34 AM
whew! You had me scared. I know the NU finds problems with the files the startup drive... but I never know what that means (and I don't care too). I do fix them, but then I always run DiskUtility afterwords. I've also started to index my drive on a consistent basis.

jdavidbakr
03-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Do you shut your computer down overnight? If you do, don't, because OS X does housekeeping during the middle of the night to keep it running in tip top shape.

fabmedia
03-19-2004, 12:36 PM
I don't shut down my machine, but what do you mean by house keeping? Disk Utility or what? AND how do I automate that stuff?

jdavidbakr
03-19-2004, 02:04 PM
Unless you specifically turned it off, it's on. I don't know what all it does but it is low level system optimization that happens at 3:00am every day.

You didn't say what OS you have. You might see if you can get your hands on Disk Warrior, I have always preferred that to Norton. You can also look in the task manager and see if there is something running in the background that is hogging up processes. I have an iMac 800 and the only time I have that kind of sluggishness is when I am rendering using LWSN in the BG. Other than that... clean install of the system?

fabmedia
03-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Well here's the list of things that are ALWAYS running in the background...

AppleSpell
SystemUIServer
pbs
loginwindow
ATSServer
WindoServer

plus Finder, Font Reserve (i turn this one off when I can).

Those are the things that Activity Monitor tells me is going on.

I'm running Panther, but I have the same issues under Jaguar too. So something is up. It just happens that LW is a little spunkier under Jaguar. I've been wondering if it's the computer itself. I'm running a Dual 867 with 1.12 Gb of RAM.

jdavidbakr
03-19-2004, 03:06 PM
It's possible that it's bad RAM. If the Apple System Profiler says it's bad, then you know it's bad, but if it doesn't say it's bad, then you really don't know whether it is bad or not. You might try taking the modules out one at a time and see if you get any improved performance. If not, a clean install may not be a bad idea.

WShawn
03-19-2004, 06:27 PM
When you say you have 750,000 polygons and everything is boxes, does that mean it's scrubbing slowly even when the bounding box threshold is set fairly low? I have a scene loaded right now that has 754,052 polygons (300 arrayed models of a GE security camera), and if I set the bounding box threshold to 750,000 I can't scrub at all. Mac video cards can't throw around that many polygons easily. If I set the threshold to 50,000 I can scrub fairly well; of course all but a handful of the camera models show as bounding boxes. It takes about 11 seconds from the time I release the frame slider until all the camera models appear as Texture Shaded Solids. This is on a Dual Gig G4 Quicksilver with an nVidia GeForce4 MX card.

I've had issues with texture maps that cause very slow scrubbing and persistent spinning beachballs. I occasionally use Quicktimes and sequences for animated textures, and as you scrub in layout it sometimes updates each frame very slowly.

I also had a situation a few weeks ago where I opened up an old project which used static TIFFs and PSDs as texture maps. Some of the TIFFs didn't have a .tif extension and they show up in the LW Image Editor as Animations, and the other Image Types are greyed out. So even though those are static textures LW is sluggish on the first few frames of the animation.

If you have a lot of texture maps try saving those objects without their texture maps (using "save as" of course.)

Good luck.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

strongarm27
03-20-2004, 01:33 AM
lightwave loves targa format. use it or expect
some problems. A 4mx card is nowhere near
good enough to handle that many polygons and
with textures it will be swapping to disc as it loads
textures. Try turning textures off if you can in
layout. Check to see if your rendering speed
changes from one thread to two threads or four.
this will help tell you if you have cpu problems
if rendering times are not cut dramatically it may
be a cpu module. Another suggestion is in the
scene manager make everything bounding boxes.
this will force bonding box mode on everything
with no draw delay. Then just turn on those
objects you need to work with. this got me
thourgh allot of large scenes. My two cents your
milage may very.

strongarm27

cbreton49
07-26-2006, 05:40 PM
how can i shut off the "loginwindow" on the Mac OS 10.4.7 which is causing me trouble when i render LW9 (no norton) but i watch the activity monitor and when LW9 goes to render, the "loginwindow" kicks in and takes 70% of the cpu's away from LW9 - anyone ???
cbreton49

gerry_g
07-26-2006, 06:12 PM
You could try selecting it in Active Monitor and hitting Kill Process, whether this would actually be a good idea or not you'd have to find out the hard way. Then again it may just be a corruption of this particular account, try setting up a new one, call it John Doa or something and a password, log out your system then log into you new one and see if the problem persists, this is a fairly standard diagnostic procedure. Other things to consider are –
1 – Doing a catch clean with something like Tiger Catch Cleaner
2 – Repairing Permissions
3 – Doing A Hard Disk Repair Check (while you are there in the same window}
4 – Doing an FSCK (really not a lot different to doing a repair permission}

SCS5
07-26-2006, 07:42 PM
You don't have Norton installed on your system, do you? If you do, get rid of it and get it far away from your computer. Don't even keep the disks in the same room. ;)

Norton slowed down every PC in my office! (1/50th normal speed) It literally ground an entire business to a halt! It took a week of trouble shooting 10 PC's to find out Norton was the culprit:cursin: ....:devil: Norton is the Devil Reincarnated:devil: Take all the Norton disks you have outside and burn them, then encase them in concrete and sink them in the deepest ocean you can find. This should fix your problems:thumbsup:

cbreton49
07-26-2006, 09:23 PM
You could try selecting it in Active Monitor and hitting Kill Process, whether this would actually be a good idea or not you'd have to find out the hard way. Then again it may just be a corruption of this particular account, try setting up a new one, call it John Doa or something and a password, log out your system then log into you new one and see if the problem persists, this is a fairly standard diagnostic procedure. Other things to consider are
1 Doing a catch clean with something like Tiger Catch Cleaner
2 Repairing Permissions
3 Doing A Hard Disk Repair Check (while you are there in the same window}
4 Doing an FSCK (really not a lot different to doing a repair permission}

I did the log in and out with a new account and it did the same thing, I will try the others and let you know, not sure what the Kill Process will do, may leave that out for now, or may call newtek or MAC - what a mystery this has been.... thanks for your input.
cbreton49

Chilton
07-26-2006, 09:36 PM
Howdy from San Antonio. It's hot here.

Please open the terminal during a render, and type, 'top'. See if what it says is different than what you're seeing in Activity Monitor. If it says LoginWindow is sucking up processor time, there's something I'll definitely want to know more about.

thanks,
-Chilton

cbreton49
07-26-2006, 09:46 PM
Howdy from San Antonio. It's hot here.

Please open the terminal during a render, and type, 'top'. See if what it says is different than what you're seeing in Activity Monitor. If it says LoginWindow is sucking up processor time, there's something I'll definitely want to know more about.

thanks,
-Chilton

I will do that tomorrow at work where all the trouble is taking place, lol but when you say open the terminal, where and what is that exactly and I will certainly give it a try. thanks,
cbreton49

Chilton
07-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Ah, sorry. It's in the Utilities folder. There's a little 'old-school' computer screen looking thing called 'Terminal', or 'Terminal.app' . It gives you access to the Unix shell. Double-click that icon, and type 'top' and hit return. Top is a program that shows you all of the current processes, and their accompanying processor time consumption, etc.

I'm curious if it is reporting differently than Activity Monitor is with regard to the LoginWindow processor time.

-Chilton

cbreton49
07-26-2006, 10:18 PM
OK, I am assuming the utilities folder in the applications folder and I will try that tomorrow and surely keep you up on this one.... as I am stumped...
thanks again, cbreton49

cbreton49
07-26-2006, 10:21 PM
p.s. I sure hope there is an end in site and that there is a solution to this problem.... :>)

cbreton49
07-27-2006, 10:09 AM
I did what you suggested and it seems the loginwindow is not using cpu's in that hot window, but does in the activity monitor, also if you read the top of the hot window you will see something is getting 'stuck'. I zipped some desktop shots to show you, but this is the first time I have tried to attach in a forum. What do you suggest?
thanks, Carol

cbreton49
07-27-2006, 10:12 AM
I am adding this desk shot because the zip ones I downsized and it took the magnification out of them so this one you should be able to see what I am talking about... let me know, thanks Carol

gerry_g
07-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Just for comparison, my loginwindow process rates as zero during render, something is definitely odd about yours

cbreton49
07-27-2006, 10:54 AM
yes, so is my co-workers, now the question is 'how to fix what is not right?' and who to call!! very frustrating when I have a quad and the dual is screaming past me at 54 sec. and I am at 4 MINUTES - there was however, three times it did render ok, 20 SECONDS, which is about right but it won't do it again. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Thanks for the input though - Carol

Chilton
07-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Hi,

As you can see, your processor is clearly using more than 100% of the CPU time, which is your problem. As Apple clearly stated in its early marketing campaigns, Macs now operate at the speed of light, which can have unfortunate consequences. On the upside, you'll notice that you will age more slowly sitting in front of your Mac.

My guess is that this is normal. But I'd get rid of the Norton stuff, or at least turn it off, as a first guess.

-Chilton

cbreton49
07-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Chilton, I was wrong, the Terminal is showing that the 'loginwindows' is using the cpu's - does that change things here?? see attached
Carol

cbreton49
07-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Also, I have a quad so, I have two chips and two processors, and 200% is my limit not 100% - if that info is helpful in any solution....
carol

cbreton49
07-27-2006, 01:09 PM
well after a lot of playing and exchanging of files - thank goodness my co worker had a similar file to my project - I find that it was a corrupt content file in the case I was rendering the scene from that prompted the loginwindow to go crazy, the connection is still a mystery but the problem is solved now that I dumped that file and using my co workers... go figure!
Thanks to all who looked and pondered . . . .
Carol