PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q: BW Renderings

J Martin
03-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Greetings.

I've added some jpg image maps to some primitives and OpenGL shows them in full color. However when I do an F9 preview they're grayscale. No doubt I've missed something in the manual, but I don't know what it is. By the way, is TGA the preferred format? Will others will just as well?

Thanks!

prospector
03-17-2004, 09:36 AM
If OGL color ok and render not then it usually means there is a pixel filter on somewhere.
If it is the full picture then the full scene pixel filters are under SCENE>Image Processing>Processing and either Add Pixelfilter OR Add Image filter, or the color saturation is set to less than 100% (same menu screen).
Unless someone knows where others might be.

But that's what I would check first.

toby
03-17-2004, 05:12 PM
B&W renders were always an indication of a cracked version of Lightwave...

J Martin
03-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Well, unless Lightwave is cracking their own discs, I don't know what to say. Anyway, what Pixel Filter or Image Filter would I add?

Beamtracer
03-17-2004, 07:21 PM
There are image filters that can remove color, but if you didn't add them to your scene, they can't be there!

The Image Editor can also reduce color, but once again, if you didn't tweak it that can't be the issue.

Hmmm. It's got me stumped.

toby
03-17-2004, 08:37 PM
There is a Color Saturation setting on the Processing tab, make sure it's at 100%

Beamtracer
03-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by toby
There is a Color Saturation setting on the Processing tab, make sure it's at 100% It seems strange the Saturation tab in the Image Editor would have been tweaked without the user's knowledge.

J Martin, can I confirm that every color image you've tried to map to any object turns to black and white? ie, you've tried it with various images and more than one object?

Could this be something peculiar with the Discovery Edition? I'm surprised anyone managed to find the Discovery Edition software on Newtek's website.

I'd also suggest trying it with different types of image formats. Maybe TIFF, PNG or PSD. Whatever.

J Martin
03-18-2004, 08:26 AM
I haven't tried every image format. Just jpg and tga. The tga was of flags from the LW folder so I figure if that doesn't work then nothing will. The jpg was a photo scan.

Yeah, I have played with the saturation, but it is set to 100%. I added a sky gradation and a 100% reflection to a sphere and those colorize very nicely. It's just the image maps that come out black and white. I reformatted my hard drive a while ago and did a clean install of LW. I'm going to send an image off to tech support and see what they have to say. I'll post an image here later.

--Jack

J Martin
03-18-2004, 08:29 AM
PS:

It's not a Discovery Edition (whatever that is). I bought the $800 Mac version in February. It's all there.

RUdiger
03-18-2004, 10:15 AM
It sounds like the images are applied to the diffuse channel, rather than the color channel.

J Martin
03-18-2004, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by RUdiger
It sounds like the images are applied to the diffuse channel, rather than the color channel.

Ahhh! Yes! That's definitely it! Thanks!

Still learning my way around.....