PDA

View Full Version : working network render

dwburman
03-17-2004, 06:10 AM
I've set up screamernet on a few occasions and have used lightnet and I have station x's spider although I haven't really used it successfully yet.

Can we get a simple to set up operate network render in Lightwave? I know there are third party things set up to do this but it'd be nice to have it native.

It seems like the biggest problems I have are getting the configs and plug-ins in order. Could a future render controller copy the current relevent configs and plug-ins to render control folder (or a .zip folder) for use during the render. That way we wouldn't have to specify different paths or map multiple drives etc.

I know there are ways to do this stuff I just wish it were easier to set up.

gjjackson
03-17-2004, 06:47 AM
What problems are you having with Spider. There's a user group on yahoo that can help. Using Matt Gorner's ScreamerNet help would be the best place to start. From what I've found out setting up the paths is the main problem most have. Setting up paths using UNC and reloading the plugins using the UNC path will give the best results.

GruvSyco
03-17-2004, 08:05 PM
kind of in the same vein...

I don't really have any issues with screamernet (just got it up and running and think its really cool) but, I would like to see better integration of it...

If there were a way to maybe set something in preferences so it would automatically use screamernet when you F9 or F10. it would especially be cool to be able to get it working with the preview :)

dwburman
03-17-2004, 08:28 PM
I've been to that Yahoo Groups forum, but thank you for the heads-up. I'm sure I can figure it out or find help on setting it up. It isn't a priority for me right now.

It just seems like LW's network rendering could be a lot easier to set up. Right now we have to worry about content directory, the lwsn files, the plugins, the command directory, the configs files and the paths within the configs files.

A lot of that should/could be automated so we'd only have to connect to one or two network locations without having to manually move files around and edit files with a text editor.

Of course, once it's all set up it's pretty easy to operate and, as I've said, I've done it (lwsn) before and can do it again.

For paying jobs I'm inclined to use ResPower. My few computers [dual 2.66Ghz Xeon, 1.3Ghz Athlon T-bird and a 850 Mhz Slot A Athlon] don't have that much kick to them comparatively.

Originally posted by gjjackson
What problems are you having with Spider. There's a user group on yahoo that can help. Using Matt Gorner's ScreamerNet help would be the best place to start. From what I've found out setting up the paths is the main problem most have. Setting up paths using UNC and reloading the plugins using the UNC path will give the best results.