PDA

View Full Version : OT Is your partner artistic?

badllarma
03-16-2004, 11:59 PM
Ok folks just a general quick question after seeing a reply by Herve. And thinking how many Girl friends, wives, boy friends and husbands us lightwavers have that are also artistic?

So here it is:- Is your partner artistic?

Well heres mine, my girl friend is very artistic works in all sorts of mediums from water colour to pyrography just bought her first laptop at the weekend and now starting to learn Photoshop.
I have to admit on the very odd occasion have joined her and had a play with the water colours myself on a hot days in the summer out doing a bit of landscape painting :)

She does not try to understand how lightwave works or even hang around while I'm working but does love to see the result as animations and the models themselves.

Class myself as a very lucky guy :D

Hervé
03-17-2004, 01:10 AM
Dear Andy, you're like me... but
Bibi is also an art collector... and she teached me so many things about painting....

Every year, we go to Tefaf in Holland... what an inspirational place, my eyes are almost drunk of so much to see and so much quality...

Us, LW'ers have a lot to learn from our artistic partners.

I simply could not live with someone just cooking diner and washing the dishes... (I always make diner, coz in a first life, I was a cook -I stopped coz I could not take people distroying my "art" by eating it anymore...)

Watching her painting is a reward..!:cool: :D

colkai
03-17-2004, 02:27 AM
My wife is artistic for sure.
A 'natural' artist, never had formal training, only actually took her O level art when she was 35, simply to get it. In terms of her work, she doesn't need it, annoys the heck outta me 'cause it comes naturally.

http://welcome.to/jillart shows some of her work, (hey I'm proud of her, nepotism is GOOD! ;) )

Hervé
03-17-2004, 02:36 AM
Hey Colkai, can you say to your wife I really love the skunk and the squirrel pictures, those are really great, in particular the skunk with his cute face, very nice... really !! ;)

Andrew Sweet
03-17-2004, 04:16 AM
Professional photographer, and gifted painter!!! four year old son is also starting to draw very well, thinking of animating one of his creations

Andy -uK-

colkai
03-17-2004, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
Hey Colkai, can you say to your wife I really love the skunk and the squirrel pictures, those are really great, in particular the skunk with his cute face, very nice... really !! ;)

Heh - don't know how to break it to ya Herve, that's a Raccoon ;)
'Urban Bandit' was the title of the picture, it hangs on the wall in her art room, also won her a place in the finals at a national exhibition a couple of years back.
Excluding Bonzo, (as unfair competition ;)), the Wolf is my favourite, that has pride of place in out living room, flanked by a couple of swords - well cool. :D

claymation
03-17-2004, 05:17 AM
My wife is also an artist.

She does Jewelry. So it is nice when we can sit in the studio working together. We have a extra room in our apartment that has my computer and her work bench.

colkai
03-17-2004, 05:20 AM
I hear what you're saying.
I wish I had the money for a laptop, then I could run LW on that so I could sit with the wife instead of being tucked away in my music/computer room at night.

Plus, it would be nice to sit on the sofa once in a while ;)

Hervé
03-17-2004, 05:27 AM
Oops, sorry for that, I've been typing maybe too fast...:D

Yes the Wolf is very nice also, I think it's cool when you are able to populate your walls with your own artwork.

You see Claymation, that my wife does not want, she keeps working in the biggest room (our salon), so it looks a mix of painter atelier and living room.... I like the smell of fresh paint on canvasses...:D ;)

BTW do you have any work you dare to show here... after all it's a thread for that !:cool:

Can we Chuck, Proton ? I mean while we wait for 8.... would be nice...

Rich
03-17-2004, 05:31 AM
My fiancé is very artistic. She can out draw me any day of the week. I do more cartoony while she focuses more on realistic art. She is now taking online courses through the Art Institute learning 3d studio max. She won’t let me teach her Lightwave. She is a little stubborn about learning on her own. Eventually though after she gets better at modeling in Max I will show her how much easier it is to do the same thing in LW and she will feel silly for not letting me teach her in the first place :D.

claymation
03-17-2004, 05:33 AM
well I do my character animation and she does her jewelry. I don't have any pictures of her stuff on the net yet. I have the digital camera but have not got the site yet.

If you mean my work, here is the last animation I did in LW and Mirage.

http://www.byjason.com/media/toon-walk-small.mov

800k quicktime

Jay

Hervé
03-17-2004, 05:36 AM
really nice Claymation, I really love that style ! how do you come up with a big outline black like this one...?:confused: :D ;)

claymation
03-17-2004, 05:37 AM
LOL, Rich. My wife is just as stubborn about how she does things and sometimes I can point it out and othertimes she'll just "blah, blah, blah" me. Then again I am just as stubborn so it works...

:D

claymation
03-17-2004, 05:38 AM
I did it in Mirage. I figured out how to use the drop shadow to make a hard edge then applyed it a million times to get the thickness

Jay

riki
03-17-2004, 06:11 AM
My last GF had a doctorate, majoring in Film Theory. She was highly motivated and extremely intelligent.

My current GF is a bit of an airhead and can't speak english, but she's good at some things, certainly not cooking or cleaning :)

She does make jewellry but I wouldn't say artistic.

anieves
03-17-2004, 07:52 AM
My wife is an art director/designer.

here is her site (http://www.nievesdesign.com/home.html)

colkai
03-17-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
BTW do you have any work you dare to show here... after all it's a thread for that !

I guess you mean Jills work? - Dunno, have to get permission. As for my work, I'm currently involved in the Shirow Project over on CGTalk.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113779&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

TSpyrison
03-17-2004, 09:02 AM
I donno if you would call my wife artistic, (as in drawing and such) but she's highly creative. (She edits our home movies to be the funniest home movies ever...)

Not to mention full of wit

She also has this strange ability to find continuity errors in movies and tv shows..

jjburton
03-17-2004, 11:58 AM
My wife is a potter...and a pretty darn good one at that. She started selling stuff last summer.

mamurphy
03-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Hmmph...My wife is not artistic, but she is an athlete. I guess you could say that she's a work of art!!!:D

Chris S. (Fez)
03-17-2004, 01:32 PM
My girlfriend is an aspiring interior decorator...notice I said aspiring not inspiring. Guess who's apartment gets to be guinea pig for her forays into interior design? Her taste might best be described as "fun". I hate "fun." My place looks like it was renovated by the "Queer Eye" crew on crack.

I should get her a copy of Lightwave so she can pre-vis her designs. That way she can decide whether a design works or not without destroying my apartment.

Her questionable taste extends to men too. I'm a complete jackass most of the time, but she puts up with me, which of course makes her the coolest girl in any universe (and that includes unknown and alternate). :)

badllarma
03-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Chris S. (Fez)
I should get her a copy of Lightwave so she can pre-vis her designs. That way she can decide whether a design works or not without destroying my apartment.

Now that is really funny because while the gf was doing an interior dec course I DID do a previs of a room and she took it in to show the tutor, we got top marks as well :D

I think this a really intresting thread, whether they are painting, drawing, editing, jewelry making it all involves creative skills. Which of course are the best talents to have :)

Qslugs
03-18-2004, 08:29 AM
I find having a wife that is a professional artist has been a great benefit to us both. Between the both of us we have literally every commercial medium covered (we both have traditional fine arts backgrounds as well). Often times we both end up helping one another on freelance stuff, sometimes I even set up mockups in Lightwave to help her figure out proper lighting angles for the occasional illustration.

However the best part is that I never have to worry about anything graphic design oriented :D

wacom
03-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Man oh man are some of you people lucky! I think the biggest benifit would be having the other person understand that just because you're at home doesn't mean you're NOT working. If your wife/girlfriend/boyfriend or what ever does art realated stuff on a regular basiss this helps them understand what it means to be working (even though it looks like fun).

Chris S. (Fez)
03-18-2004, 12:55 PM
"Now that is really funny because while the gf was doing an interior dec course I DID do a previs of a room and she took it in to show the tutor, we got top marks as well"

Ha! That is funny! Maybe you missed your calling?

Really though, if I were coming up with curriculum at an interior design school, I might make a Lightwave course mandatory.

Qslugs
03-18-2004, 02:02 PM
The great thing about having a wife that understands the process of 3d - she understands how time consuming it is. She took a class in 3d in grad school. Knows now she doesn't want to do 3d for a living :)

Although strangely enough, she loves pulling vectors and tangent handles around in illustrator. Ironically, thats what I hate most in illustrator.

Stranahan
03-18-2004, 10:09 PM
Hopefully, you're happy with whoever you're with and find benefits in them being who they are...

My wife Lauren isn't artsy, really, but she works on craft stuff...and she quite photographs nicely, too.

My ex worked with LW a little tiny bit and did After Effects / Photoshop / Web / DVD Menu design. I've had girlfriends who were law students and musicians and writers....ultimately, none of that stuff made any difference. Just different people.

There's the related issue of why 3D Artists are about 90% women, too...

surferjoe
03-19-2004, 08:20 AM
My wife and I have been in Lightwave production together on the same projects for about 10 years now. It seems with the long brutal hours of production a sensible way to handle the industry. She is currently modeling characters in Lightwave and I'm settting up a mocap capture stage for an all CGI movie. It is ideal if you can manage it. I've seen a few relationships go up in flames from the demands of production from one of the partners.