peter66
03-16-2004, 08:28 PM
When is Lightwave8 comin out?

mkiii
03-16-2004, 11:45 PM
:mad: :rolleyes:

erikk
03-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Frankly, I'm beginning to question this, as I've said elsewhere. Newtek did break their commitment on the release of 8, and their deafening silence on progress is not good public relations. I understand the need to not make further promises, but even a damn peep from them would help.

I'm starting to take a serious look at Maya and other options...

ted
03-17-2004, 04:01 PM
OK, here is the official-unofficial word.
It will be ready when it's ready.

“I want it now!”

“It has too many bugs, how could you release this?”

“I want to know when it will be ready!”

“You lied and didn't have it ready when you guessed at when it would be ready, because I yelled at you for not saying when it would be ready, and now you missed the guess, so I'm mad as heck and I'm not going to take it any more!”

Don't worry, I'm not making fun, it's just the thought of making a company guess when the unknown will be ready, then being angry at them for not making a deadline they were forced to guess at, seems funny to me.

I'm just in a sarcastic mood. Ignore my moment, but ponder it.:cool:

GeorgeDittmar
03-17-2004, 05:28 PM
me personally i am not super freaked that 8 isnt out yet. sense lightwave is my first pro program i am just happy to have it even though its not 8 hehe

erikk
03-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by ted
“You lied and didn't have it ready when you guessed at when it would be ready, because I yelled at you for not saying when it would be ready, and now you missed the guess, so I'm mad as heck and I'm not going to take it any more!”

Don't worry, I'm not making fun, it's just the thought of making a company guess when the unknown will be ready, then being angry at them for not making a deadline they were forced to guess at, seems funny to me.

Well, I guess the point (sarcasm accepted, by the way) that the company did make a promise and failed miserably. Now they're all closed-mouthed. Not even a progress report. They took a lot of people's money on that promise. It's not just academic. They're sitting on that money, possibly making good interest off of it (or possibly using it to prop up a company in need of a cash infusion?).

So there are good reasons that "it'll be ready when it's ready" just doesn't cut it. I'm on the side of the hacked off crowd. And since there seems to be a reasonable number in that crowd, it's even worse news for the future of Newtek.

jevinstudios
03-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Yeah -- this isn't lookin' good for NT, is it? Startin' to appear extremely flaky, and that's not a positive direction for a company to take in such a competitive market.....

erikk
03-17-2004, 09:08 PM
I'm also noticing the disappearance of Aura as a separate app and no mention of Newtek's Genesis on the site. Maybe I'm missing something, and please let me know if I am (nicely please, perhaps I've misunderstood something, and am happy to be corrected).

But if these two are just... gone... as stand alone products, it's also not very heartening. And I definitely do remember being offered the chance to purchase Aura 2 as a standalone.

jevinstudios
03-17-2004, 09:27 PM
Erikk --

Aura is now Mirage, by Bauhaus Software ( http://www.bauhaussoftware.com ). It's actually even better, with new additions to the core programming, and is one helluva cool paint/compositing package! I just bought it about 2 months ago, and if I'm not mistaken, you can still get a great "upgrade" deal if you previously owned a copy of Aura. Check it out -- I think you might like it.

As far as Genesis goes, not surprised it didn't take off. Was a limited idea with extreme tunnelvision, only targeting a niche market.

GruvSyco
03-17-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by erikk
I'm also noticing the disappearance of Aura as a separate app and no mention of Newtek's Genesis on the site. Maybe I'm missing something, and please let me know if I am (nicely please, perhaps I've misunderstood something, and am happy to be corrected).

But if these two are just... gone... as stand alone products, it's also not very heartening. And I definitely do remember being offered the chance to purchase Aura 2 as a standalone.

This is purely speculatiion (as is yours) but... from a marketing and production point, Aura made a better painting app than compositing app which is more or less how I saw it marketed from Newtek. It was somewhat of a companion to VT in that sense. So, Newtek could very easily release it's resources it had in Aura, hand it off to another company (Bauhaus Software (http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/)) and partner with someone that makes a full fledged pro compositing app (Eyeon (http://www.eyeonline.com/)).

They also had (for a brief period of time) a product that catered to a very specific market. Again, better to free up those resources and put that time and money towards products that are money makers.

As far as the delay in LW8, well... (more speculation) the initial releases of the new versions Max and Maya last year (I think it was last year) were soon followed up by patches to fix alot of bugs. Check the archives on CGTalk to see what I mean. So, I am thinking they are doing their best to release the most stable product they can in the quickest possible time frame they can.

The above, if all true, shows me that they are forward thinking and streamlining their processes. :)