PDA

View Full Version : 64 or 32 bit processor for lw?

richardnovak77
03-16-2004, 08:23 PM
hey all,

i'm thinking about a new computer (this one only has 8 megs video ram!) and i know it's going to be a laptop. my question is this:

i have a choice between numerous p4 laptops, some as fast as 3.2 ghz, or the other option, a 64 bit laptop. there are at least three on the market right now.

i don't want this to become a "vs." thread, i feel like intel and amd are both great companies. however, i want something that i can use right now, and for a long time into the future. also, i want something which is reliable and powerful of course.

as a lightwave user with a need for a portable powerhouse, which would you get?

peter66
03-16-2004, 10:30 PM
My laptop is a centrino1400 with 1gb RAM and 32mb onboard video. I'd recommend the centrinos because they have good performance (for price) and also good on battery life.

64-bit seems like the way to go and I'd also try and get one of the next gen "mobile" video cards so that your perspective view will roll around nicely with high polys.

cheers
Pete

DS613
03-17-2004, 12:22 AM
I have a 3.2 ghz Alienware laptop 1 gb ram couldnt be happier with how lightwave and my Alienware get along.

Maimo
03-20-2004, 12:42 PM
are there any imediate performance boosts when using LW with a 64bit processor??? or will that have to be coded into it?

WizCraker
03-20-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Maimo
are there any imediate performance boosts when using LW with a 64bit processor??? or will that have to be coded into it?

Not at the moment as there is not a Windows 64 for the AMD 64 bit architecture. 7.5 is not optimized for 64bit and as far as we know [meaning only people would be inside Newtek] 8 might not be 64bit optimized, but it could be.

With WinXP 64 for AMD is due out in the next year and Longhorn out in the next 2 year 64 bit is the future just not now.

You will not loose anything if you go with non 64 bit technology now. As you infastructure should rotate to the newer stuff every 2-3 years anyhow.

Angelo D'Ambros
03-22-2004, 11:19 AM
I suggest to you the dual 2Gh apple G5, is one of the fastest around for the moment.

WizCraker
03-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Isn't IBM about to release the 4Ghz version soon? Where is Beam when you need info.

Angelo D'Ambros
03-23-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by WizCraker
Isn't IBM about to release the 4Ghz version soon?

For the G5? Are you sure? I haven't heard anything about it.

Lukesutherland
03-23-2004, 03:52 PM
and i doubt it'd be a laptop....

Jimzip
03-24-2004, 01:02 AM
Isn't IBM about to release the 4Ghz version soon? Where is Beam when you need info.

It's 3GHz, it's a desktop, and no we don't need Beam for this discussion ;) .
Oh come on, you know exactly what would happen to the thread..

The 15" PowerBook has a 64MB graphics card, and a 1.25 GHZ processor. Friend of mine at uni got one yesterday!
I live happily on my iBook with 32MB, and the powerbook is powerful enough to almost be a simple desktop replacement. It's not the top or bottom of the line, and it's nice and light..

If you like using Windows however, check these out. Very nice computers with good performance:
http://www.go-l.com/laptops/index.htm

Hope that helps!

Jimzip :D