PDA

View Full Version : DOF isn't there a graphic interface?

nikmills
03-16-2004, 06:40 PM
I remember using a grafic interface to set up DOF shots. Am I remembering wrong? Where do I find or activate this function. It was great.
Thanks

Johnny
03-16-2004, 09:11 PM
there's a thread on this very subject on the "General support" side...in response to a question I asked..

I don't remember the partics, but a few people jumped in with the answers you're after.

J

blabberlicious
03-17-2004, 01:19 AM
yes there is.

It's a pluign that's part of 7.5.

1.Create a Null Object
2.Open it's Properties and Select 'Depth of Field Display' Plug-in,
3.Parent the Null to Your Camera.
4.Set DOF in Camera Properties
7 Ho hum....
10 ....Wait for Fprime to arrive to use it effectively.

:-)

Darth Mole
03-17-2004, 03:14 AM
Or do the sensible thing and buy X-DoF from Evasion.

http://www.evasion3d.com/xdof_intro.html

blabberlicious
03-17-2004, 03:20 AM
since when has spending money been sensible?

:-)

Darth Mole
03-17-2004, 07:14 AM
When the results are so much better than what LW can achieve :-)

If you do a lot of photorealistic, short-focal-length work, then X-DoF is a must-buy. It'll pay for itself in no time. The alternative view is that you don't need to render on super-duper high antialiasing for a really smooth blur, so it saves a lot of render time - and it even has a fast buffer preview which you can tweak without having to re-render.

Based on the equation that Time = Money, then
Time/X-Dof = more Money. I think...

blabberlicious
03-17-2004, 07:22 AM
I completely agree with you. I was actually making a joke about the time = money thing :-)

and I guess FPrime will let you use LW's crappy DOF quicker!

BTW, do you know if X-DOF will work with FPrime?

Darth Mole
03-17-2004, 10:59 AM
Sadly, no. X-DoF is a post-process thing where it rus its own circle of confusion system after the image has rendered. The downside is that you can't always use it with other post-process filters (it works with Sasquatch, I think), but the upside is that you can tweak and tweak on a single preview image until you get it just how you like, since it works on the buffer values.

It ain't fast, but it is good.

To be honest, I haven't used the LW dof thing for a while - I know that when it first appeared it was pretty dire. Maybe it's better now.

mbaldwin
03-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Fprime's DOF looks great to me--I've been playing with it for a few days. Not to mention the ease of setup. you can see exactly what you're getting immediately.

riki
03-17-2004, 03:01 PM
FPrime apparently doesn't work with Sasquatch, but ironically someone else mentioned that it apparently works well with Shave. I've never used any of the above so I can't confirm. But I'm sure it will be sorted soon.

jeremyhardin
03-17-2004, 05:08 PM
iDof automates the process of interactive feedback and should work with FPrime. Details:
http://lwidof.net/specs
</shameless plug>

GruvSyco
03-17-2004, 05:27 PM
What little I have played around with it... Digital Confusion seems to produce better results than LWs default DOF. :)